Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3616 Mobile IP phone restarts at moment of logging in on IP-Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

psmit

Vendor
Apr 22, 2005
NL
3616 Mobile IP phone restarts at moment of logging in on IP-Office

I build a wireless network with a Symbol wireless switch WS5100 and AP300’s. The wireless part is working as expected. The 3616phones did find the new firmware and are updated to the latest level.
The phones were starting as normal, asking for a extension number and password.
Because the IP-office is configured with autocreate, the entered extension 500 was accepted.
But as soon as I entered the password the phone began to completely restart until the message “extension in use” , I used the same extension number 500 and the phone kept on restarting.
Later I tried another extension number 2000 but it didn’t work either.

A standard 5610 phone did work ok

Does anybody recognize this problem

When it says extension in use have you simply pounded through? > Hit the pound sign unless you are British then hit the hash.

Thank you CarGoSki

Of course I used the # enough times, I did decribe it because it is so standard.

Piet

Cool. I assume that you have a password in the user profile that you are using?

Aside from that you may have some port blocking occurring somewhere on the network. If an IP device fails after you have entered the extension and password then there could be trouble there. Perhpas not since you did say that other IP phones work however there still could be port blocking on the wireless side of things.

If you have the opportunity you can isolate the situation by plugging the svp server and access point directly into an IPO lan port. You would then change the IP route gateway to point to the IPO IP address.

Since this is an active site you may not have the ability to do this. However if you can either by performing the work after or before hours or even setting up lab equipment you can quickly isolate the problem to determine if you have port blocking or not.

Also on spectralink web site you will find a doc that describes how to set up a Symbol AP. The copy and paste from PDF to html text will look scrambled>>>>

Configuration Note
Symbol Spectrum 24 Access Points This document details the specifications for configuring the Symbol Spectrum 24 Series access points (APs) in a NetLink Wireless Telephone installation. Summary Manufacturer: Symbol Approved product(s): Spectrum 24 AP 4121, 4131 RF technology: Spread spectrum direct sequence (DS), 2.4 GHz AP software version: 4121 = 2.52-13 (4121) 4131 = 3.50-18 † (4131) Telephone calls per access point (maximum): 6* Access point configuration parameters: See Access Point Configuration below Indoor range (typical): See vendor specifications for AP Required network topology: Switched Ethernet Network constraints: Dedicated segment for wireless, single subnet WEP capability: Yes * ESSID auto-learn function: Yes * † Earlier and later software versions have not been tested for the NetLink SVP Server compliance, except as noted. Refer to NetLink Wireless Telephone WLAN Compatibility List for field verified AP software versions. * Telephone calls per AP must be configured in the system per documentation provided by SpectraLink. WEP and Automatic Learn are programmed into each handset in addition to being configured in the AP. NetLink Wireless Telephones NetLink Wireless Telephones use voice over IP (VoIP) technology on IEEE 802.11b-compatible wireless local area networks (WLANs). Access points utilize radio frequencies to transmit signals to and from the NetLink Wireless Telephones. Access Point Capacity and Positioning Each site is unique in its AP requirements. Please take the following points into account when determining how many APs are needed and where they should be placed in the facility. Handset range There must be wireless LAN coverage wherever the NetLink Wireless Telephones will be used. The typical range for NetLink Wireless Telephones is comparable to that of a laptop computer utilizing a wireless LAN PC card. However, NetLink Wireless Telephones are likely to be used in areas where data devices are not typically used, such as stairwells and outdoor areas. NetLink Wireless Telephones have a Site Survey mode that displays dBm levels to determine adequate WLAN coverage. Refer to the NetLink Wireless Telephone Configuration and Administration document for details about this feature.
Copyright © 2006 SpectraLink Corporation. All rights reserved.
PN: 72-9980-00-C.doc Page 1

Configuration Note
Number of handsets per access point Estimate the number of NetLink Wireless Telephones and their anticipated call volume per AP area to ensure that the maximum number of calls per AP will not be exceeded. In this estimate, consider the data rates at which the handsets will operate. Higher data rates can only be sustained while well within the range of the AP. If the NetLink Wireless Telephones will be operating near the limits of the RF coverage from the AP, they will automatically drop to 1 Mb/s operation. NetLink Wireless Telephones require approximately 15% of the available bandwidth per call for 1 Mb/s operation, approximately 10% of the available bandwidth per call for 2 Mb/s operation, approximately 7% of the available bandwidth per call for 5.5 Mb/s operation, and approximately 5% of the available bandwidth per call for 11 Mb/s operation. Note: The maximum number of telephone calls per AP quoted in the summary table above is based on 11 Mb/s operation, and will be reduced if some or all NetLink Wireless Telephones are operating at 1, 2, or 5.5 Mb/s. LAN bandwidth Estimate anticipated peak call volume to ensure that the LAN has enough bandwidth available to handle the network traffic generated by all of the wireless devices. Network traffic can be monitored/analyzed using a network sniffer or a simple network management protocol (SNMP) workstation. Number of other wireless devices per AP The NetLink Wireless Telephones share bandwidth with other wireless devices. To ensure adequate RF bandwidth availability, consider the number of wireless data devices in use per AP. Notes on Configuration ?? The AP must support SpectraLink Voice Priority (SVP). Contact your AP vendor if you need to upgrade the AP software. If you encounter difficulties or have questions regarding the configuration process, please contact the Customer Support Hotline at (800) 775-5330. The hotline is open Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mountain time.
PN: 72-9980-00-C.doc Page 2

Configuration Note
Access Point Configuration 1. Connect the AP to a PC using a serial or Ethernet connection. Serial: Run a terminal emulation program using the following settings: 9600 bits per second, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, and no flow control. Press Enter to access the Main menu. The Main menu will appear on your computer screen. Ethernet: Telnet to the IP address of the AP. 2. Enter the password. Symbol has a default password that can be changed by the wireless LAN administrator. See the wireless LAN administrator or the vendor specifications for this data if it is unknown. From the Main menu > Enter Admin Mode. Type the password. 3. If the AP is already in use, note the Unit Name, IP address, subnet mask, Net_ID (ESS), Antenna Selection, Rate Control and WEP Algorithm: From the Main menu > Show System Summary to display current settings for Net_ID (ESS), Channel Selection, Antenna Selection, Rate Control and WEP Algorithm. From the Main menu > AP Installation to display or modify current settings for IP address and subnet mask 4. If allowable, set the AP configuration parameters to the default values: If you are concerned whether default values will affect any operation of your existing wireless LAN please consult SpectraLink Customer Support for specific field default values that we recommend. From the Main menu > Special Functions > Restore Factory Config > Special Functions > Reset A.P Respond with a Y to the prompt: Symbol Spectrum24 (DS) Access Point.Enter the password again after the reset. 5. Configure AP: Navigate to the AP Installation Menu and enter the IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway IP Address, and Net_ID (ESS) Select Full Diversity for Antenna Selection. 6. Save and exit to main menu by pressing F1. 7. Configure Channel: Navigate to System Configuration Menu and enter the settings Channel Selection. 8. Save and exit to main menu by pressing F1. 9. Set RF settings and WEP (if used at this site). If WEP is in use, obtain the key values from the local administrator of the wireless LAN It is recommended that the AP allow the broadcast of ESSIDs to simplify the configuration of NetLink Wireless Telephones. SpectraLink terms this function Automatic Learn. If there are overlapping wireless LAN areas at your site, the Automatic Learn function may not work properly in the areas that receive signals from two or more APs.
PN: 72-9980-00-C.doc Page 3

Configuration Note
Sites with heightened security issues may not want ESSID broadcast enabled. If it is not enabled, the ESSID must be manually entered into every Wireless Telephone. Navigate to RF Configuration Menu and set: Accept Broadcast ESSID to Enabled Additional RF settings must be configured as follows: Hardware Parameter Setting Criticality Data Beacon Rate (DTIM) 2 Recommended Max Tries (v) 5 Recommended Beacon Interval 100 Recommended Allow Broadcast SSID to Associate? Yes Recommended Rate Control: 1.0 Required Required 2.0 Required Required 5.5 Optional Required 11.0 Optional Required RTS Threshold 600 or higher Recommended Short RF Preamble Disabled Required Tx Power Control Full Recommended 10. Save and exit to main menu by pressing F1. 11. Restart the AP: Navigate to the Special Functions menu and select Reset AP. Respond with a Y to the prompt. The AP is now ready for use with the NetLink Wireless Telephones.
PN: 72-9980-00-C.doc Page 4

Thank you CarGoSki,

The application note you did sent describes the setup of a standalone Symbol Access Point. I am using the Symbol Wireless Switch with Access Port 300.
But anyway I do have a connection through the wireless part of the network.

The password i mentioned is the standard random number you can enter when you add an extension through the auto create function of the gatekeeper in the IPO.

I do not have any portblocking on the network.

I put my laptop on the same wireless lan and was able to ping the def gatewat, the call server and the AVPP.

I changed the gateway address on the 3616 to the same address as the call server same result.

Next thing I will try is to use Etherreal to trace bit by bit what's happening.

But please keep on thinking of suggestion for this problem.

Have you visited the spectralink site yet and grabbed the correct document.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back