Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

36 hour CCENT CRAM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyforhire

Technical User
Mar 11, 2008
US
Study,Study,Study!!!

- OSI Layers -

All people seem to need data processing. I need to E-mail the JPG to my Manager over the TCP router switch cable.

A - Email
P - Compression
S - Manager of connection
T - TCP/UDP
N - ROUTER'S
D - SWITCHES
P - CABLES

The Data segment packets framed the bits.

APS = DATA
TCP/UDP = SEGMENTS
ROUTERS = PACKETS
SWITCHES = FRAMES
CABLES = BITS

Well Known Ports:

21 - FTP
22 - SSH
23 - TELNET
25 - SMTP
53 - DNS
69 - TFTP
80 - HTTP
110 - POP3
443 - HTTPS
6112 - WARCRAFT 3 :)

SUBNETTING SUBNETTING SUBNETTING
My 10's on this subject

1) RTFQ (READ THE ************** QUSTION)( thanks Clue, Burt and Mac)
2) Don't Rush
3) Trust, But confirm
4) No more than 2 minutes per question
5) Network Address is the Start of the Network, Broadcast is at the end. Can't use either! (192.168.1.0 = network , 192.168.1.255 = broadcast)
6) RTFQ
7) Get it in your head. It's easy math.
8) 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
9) If the question made a change in the octect...make your change in that octect
10)If all else fails just throw up on the computer that your taking the test with and maybe you can pass it some other day.

Remember---many do not pass the first time! Know this, and don't have too high of an expectation when you go in---this alleviates pressure, and it has always worked for me. If you set your expectations too high, but do not pass, you may be discouraged enough to throw your focus off for studying for the second try. I really hope you pass, and I wish you good fortune on it!

Burt

I agree with Burtsbees, I succeeded on the third attempt, scored pretty low on the first two, though it should have only taken me two, glad I had a third crack though.
First was about 650, not enough study, second 727 didn't read the questions properly. Felt suicidal tendancies, totally depressed rushed it.
Third 961, now thats with late night revision as some one suggested, and even more study.
Now all I need is a job to put it to use, and help me muster the few ounzes of stregnth to complete the CCNA bit.

Well every day i have been reading, hands on, reading....hands on... I know that this test is going to be a tuff one but at the same time....I have been working my ass off with Rip, CDP, Port Security, PPP/HDLC , Subnetting, setting up my switches and my routers over and over until i don't need to look at anything to tell me hey you forgot this or you forgot that..I'm already a CCENT..I'm just going into this test to get it on paper :)

CDP is an AWESOME FEATURE BTW! So with less than 24 hours left tonight is review night. I think i will do well on this test but at the same time it's not the end of the world if i fail it. I mean it is the end of my 125$ but i know that I can just move forward and try again.

From people that have taken the ICND1 by itself are there any tricks or anything that you might give advice about? Is there something that you saw that you just didn't see in any study works? Like for example i saw a practice test that wanted me to turn a number into hex..i havn't seen that anywhere else?!?

Whew...Tomorrow is the big day. Test is at 11:00am I feel very confident that I will pass this one. The next post i do will be me posting my ICND1 score. So thank you to everyone that has been reading my long deluded posts and have been helping me out.

Bobby

650 - Failed because i didn't test the WAN links got a 0%

Back tot he drawing board.

Better luck on your next attempt!!!!

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

At least now you have an idea what to expect on the next try. Don't forget there is a promo going on right now where you can retake for free...or at least I think it's still going on.

What I've done when I've failed, is keep the sheet to match up to the syllabus on Cisco's website to help guide what areas specifically were weaker. But, don't focus just on those areas either. Keep reviewing the sections you were good on, you don't want to forget anything either.

You'll get there, I don't like to think of the number of times I had to retake the CIT exam.

I just can't belive i got a 0% on the Wan link portion...it's just...whoa

Hey Bobby,
Gratz on the 650.. You are more than halfway there! In such a short Mount of time!!! As much as I LOOOOOVE!!! this forum.. Sometimes you have to avoid it.. as difficult as that may be.. while you are certifying.. It is tempting to peruse the various threads and hang out, chat etc. You should post your questions in the cert area and bail out most of the time.. Limit your time in here... I found myself doing just that when I took ICND2.. I would jump in the forum to check for an answer and would get distracted when surrounded by such "Kool Katz" as Burt, Cisco, Clue, Lerdalt and the crowd!!! By all means hang out but limit the time reading about the non-CCENT pertinent stuff!

The first test is difficult... In some ways ICND1 is more difficult than ICND2... You are on the right path though.. Whenever you miss on a certification test go straight to the car and write EVERYTHING DOWN that you can remember and did not know... (AND DO NOT POST IT ON THE INTERNET).. LoL Use that as well as the percentages the results give you to base your studying.. I missed ICND2 the first time.. Hopefully that will not be the case with CCNA Security but I am feeling MUCH more confident now that I am becoming more familiar with the test layouts ETC.

You are almost there! Good Luck!!!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Mac or Bmac? :)

Your right, i shouldn't be down i mean in just two and 1/2 weeks of self study, full time job, and life i got a 650 so i should be happy. As far as the things i missed....These things are burned into my head for what i need to study. When i was looking over the things i put on my "cheat sheet" i noticed....only 1 or 2 things were on the test.

I really was having to wing a few of them a bit. or as we might say "plug and pray". As far as the WLAN goes i got a 100% on it so ya for me! I'm going to take a few days off of the studying...I know where my weaknesses are and can admit that I was nervous as everyone at work was just like "don't worry you got this"..so failing this....(deep breath) was the best thing for me right now. As for the TEK-TIPS...that was what i was thinking..i mean i had it with the subnetting and then i started asking questions and got confused, but then turned around and reset my brain and got back to it. So i might want to just stick to the material.

So to all of you out there taking the CCENT. Good luck and don't take the test for granted it will toss you from what you might be thinking! As for PREP TESTS I scored a 990 but when it came to hit the ball got a 650.

Next test date will be in 3 1/2 weeks....

Thanks for the kind words mac it really helped me keep my head up as today....was a day of day for me!

bobbyforhire,

DO NOT SWEAT IT - I have had several students miss it 4-5 times! You have seen the questions, you know what to expect!

Get on the sim or your lab or both and work labs again and again and again!

I posted a "Learning by Doing" Free lab book (about 700 pages of labs) several weeks back - download it and work through the labs - LEARNING BY DOING !!!!!!!

You will get it - it just takes practice - like they say if it was easy - everyone would be a CCNA :)

Good luck!!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

My friend that I mentioned several times scored in the 600's his first attempt at CCENT.. Second was in the 900's... Good Luck!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back