Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3550 switches, the benefit of VLANS?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

geranimo666

Technical User
Sep 19, 2006
US
Hello-

This company I am doing project work for has a flat network. I am trying to convey in more "business terms" what the benefits of VLAN's are.. If I sound too technical, I'll lose their interest as this concept may be alittle over their heads..

Things such as -avoiding bridge loops and having the ability to virtualize ports via a vlan for more control and centralized management still doesn't sound like these points of reference really sell the solution.

Anyone have any more reasons why vlans make sense aside from the points I've made above? again, it needs to be sold to management... they have the layer 2/3 switches (3550 Cisco)

thanks for any information
geranimo

Well, you can say it is a way to separate networks without having to buy more equipment---one network would need explicit permission to access other networks (vlans), by the admin adding acl's or routes. It is good for security.
Also, users can easily be moved to different vlans, just by a few entries in the switch, and so you can bring up the ease of management side of things.
Each department can have their own vlan, and it is only limited by the number of ports.
Ease of management, security, and savings.

Burt

Very very well said Burt..

I'll let you know how things turn out

geranimo

Definitely hit the security aspect of it. Don't speak tech though. Use the internal threat, that alot of the attacks we see come from disgruntled employees and that vlans are a way of securing different network segments that contain critical business functions from both inside and outside attacks. Don't make them too paranoid, just paranoid enough to go along with it.

Humans are not proud of their ancestors, and rarely invite them round to dinner.
Douglas Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back