Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3524 XL Spanning-tree Port state disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock2447

MIS
Nov 5, 2002
US
I need to know how to disable a single port from Spanning-tree. I'm using a software package from IBM that won't work with the port spanning.

interface fastethernet0/1
spanning-tree portfast

That will turn off the complete spanning tree computation for that port.

I thought that was used to keep spanning tree on. But to use the portfast feature. Isn't the command for turning Spanning tree off: interface fastethernet0/1
no spanning-tree ?
Sorry to add confusion.

You don't want to turn spanning tree off. Putting a port in portfast mode means that you're manually telling the switch to forward all frames, even if a loop occures (which could be very bad!). Essentially, you're manually disabling spanning tree's blocking feature.

Baddos is correct. That is the command to turn off spanning tree.As webnetwiz says be VERY careful when using this command. Be totally sure that no loops are on the network.

I disable Spanning-tree on certain ports on my network as we encounter problems with certain PC's timing out before obtaining an ip address.

It works fine but we dont disable ports that are uplink ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back