Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3524 integration with Token Ring LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hell ALL,
I administer a Token ring LAN with roughly 90 nodes.For various reasons I am adding an Ethernet segment, and eventually would like to loose the Token Ring side entirely.I have an Olicom Cross Fire 8600 Switch with a Translational Bridge module (8660) that I am about to install and connect to a CISCO 3524 XL-EN switch.At this time I still need to have all Servers on the T/R LAN(Email-APPS Servers, DHCP, etc.) Should I use a the same Network Addresss on the Ethernet LAN that I use on the T/R side? OR should I add a router between the the two segments? If so what type?
Thanks in Advance,
Alex

TAMCO,

I don't know the capabilities of the Cross Fire bridge, but I would think that if you could use it to bridge the Ethernet and Token together, a router would not be necessary. As for addressing, with a bridge it doesn't matter if you use the same adresss space, as long as you don't have duplicate IP's.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

John Kowalski
john.kowalski@eds.com

Thanks for the reply, I went ahead and left the Network addresses the same, no router required. Everything has worked out fine no glitches or gothchas. . Now I'm just swapping out the NICS and hopefully, in the not so distant future, I will be rid of the Token Ring all together. I will be watching preformance as I switch people to Ethernet, I dont want to end up with a great big bottleneck at the Bridge. Thanks.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back