Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

350T console troubles... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckalucka

IS-IT--Management
Sep 1, 2001
US
I can't seem to get into either of our 350T switches using the console port. I inherited these devices, so I'm not very familiar with them. They were never assigned IP addresses, so I'm trying to use a direct connection through the console port, and do a <Ctrl>+C (per Nortel's instructions) to reach the main menu. I'm using Hyperterminal, and my settings are per Nortel's instruction, yet I get no response whatsoever. I'm using a laptop which I use on all other switches and routers with no problems. Any ideas.

Control Y initially gets their attention some times I love everyone til they prove otherwise, sadly some prove otherwise SO quickly

I've tried Control Y (and a few others)and received no response. I'm stumped on this. I can usually get SOME response (good or bad)...

Thanks for the suggestion though.

i do know that i need a null modem adaptor in a nortel switch that I do not use in a 3com or Cisco product I love everyone til they prove otherwise, sadly some prove otherwise SO quickly

Badabing! I used a roll-over cable with null adapters at both ends and I got right in! Great advice jimbopalmer!

I was using a null modem cable. It should have worked fine, it does on all of our other switches (HP and Cisco). Of course, since I was able to get into the configuration and assign an IP address, I can just Telnet in now.

Can someone give me a hand here. I am in the same situation. At first I used a standard DB9-DB9 serial cable and had no success. Then I tried a null modem cable and still no success. What exactly where you using to get this to work? A standard serial cable with null adapters on either end? or a null modem cable with adapters on either end?

Hi Yozhic!

What I did was take a rollover cable (like you use to console into a Cisco router) with RJ45 ends, and attach RJ45 to DB9 adapters to both ends. I don't know why it worked when all else had failed.....but it did! I hope this helps.

Chuck

What wiring configuration did you use on the converters. All the RJ45/DB9-F converters I can get are custom wired.
I found this suggestion on the internet. Is it correct?

RJ45 - DB9
1 - 6
2 -
3 - 1
4 - 5
5 - 2
6 - 3
7 - 8

Ok...I am taking the sledgehammer approach...I have purchased db-9 connectors, rj45-db9(f) apapters, a straight thru cable and a null modem cable. I have made myself a rollover cable and I am going now to purchase two null modem adapters. Surely out of all this I must find something that works. If not I feel it is quite likely I will take the switch to the nearest Nortel office location and throw it through their window.

To get back on track, my plan now is simply to wire up my own cable. Does anyone know the exact pin to pin requirements for this to work?

Lastly, what software would you all recommend. I have been using HyperTerminal version built into Win2k. Is there a better option?

At last, finally a success. And the most frustrating part is it worked with my straght-thru db9(f)-db9(f) cable.
The only differences were I downloaded the latest version of Hillgraeves HyperTerminal Private Edition from ther site and pressed Ctrl-C instead of Ctrl-Y (as they instruct in the reference manual)

My advice to people with 350T console probs is make sure you use the latest version of HyperTerminal and try different Ctrl combinations, like Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-Y.
Also, buy two cables, a null modem cable and a straight-thru. It's handy to have both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back