Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

350 AP Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
May 17, 2002
US
When I go into a cisco access point web page and look at the log, it conitinues to say Deauthenticating & Inactivity. Does it stem from having a different type of wireless card other than cisco. The wireless card that is being used along with the cisco card is a Sony 40-bit card and I am using all cisco 128-bit wireless cards with WEP enable. Could that be the reason why there is no association to the Access point device? Also I have the cisco web page setting to be "OPEN" authentication which is suppose to block any access to the AP device if it is not using 128-bit. But the Sony card is by passing and able to authenticate using a 40-bit card with no WEP. This is an extreme security flaw. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm not sure this helps, but I set up a Cisco AP340 and 340 PCMCIA for a friend's network. It worked just fine until she got a different Laptop with a built in Orinoco (Lucent) wirless client. It saw the AP with 90% power level, but wouldn't connect. As soon as I slid the Cisco 340 PCMCIA card in, the PC connected through the Cisco and works perfectly. I am not using WEP, and did not disable the built in wireless card.

I wonder if the two problems are related.

Also, the very same thing happened with another friend's brand new SONY Vaio with a Lucent built in wireless client.

Hello,
I'm having the same problem. Except I have all cisco gear. Does any one know the resolution to the Cisco 350 "Inactivity" problem.
Thanks,
Otto

The problem is the length of the Tx preamble. Cisco by
default uses short radio preambles, and by default most
other companies use long preamples in their cards and APs.

Just use network properties, advanced, and where it says
Preample select Short or Auto instead of Long.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back