Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

349 maximum transactions with CES processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

posknowitall

Technical User
Dec 2, 2005
US
Have a 5.3 version of Aloha tableservice. They have recently changed from Vital to Cardnet. When they reach a total of 349 transactions the batch shuts down not allowing any new cards to be taken. We have editted the edc.ini to allow for more transactions but still having the problem. Does anyone know why I can't get this to work properly?

From my understanding, CES just won't work well after 349 transactions. You might want to switch back to Vital.

If you don't want to or can't switch back to Vital, check and see if the Shift4 driver is an option for the version of Aloha you are running. If so, we handle this by breaking up the batch behind the scenes and let you and the POS work with a virtual batch of any size.

Steve Sommers
-- Creators of $$$ ON THE NET(tm) payment processing services

Blog:

Our company uses CES to settle with First Data. I currently have the batch limit set to 999. I contacted Aloha first and they indicated the smaller batch size was to help in diagnosing and correcting batch problems. I have had no issues with larger batches. The POS will stop taking transactions at 999 but if I have to enter spooldown, I have settled batches with First Data for 1200+ transactions. You have to edit the edc.ini and add the 999 to the maxtransactions.

I should have mentioned, I verified the ability to settle larger batches with my processor (First Data)prior to making this change.

My max transactions are set very high. It doesn't seem to read the line in the .ini. I did speak with the processor and he seemed surprised by the limitation. I do believe First data is the underlying processor. I want to switch them back to Vital. I'm not even sure why they changed in the first place. First data has always been a headache.

I use CES with our local banking monolith and haven't had a problem with large batches since upping the limit in the edc.ini - *but* - not to 999. Setting the limit to 999 didn't actually appear to increase the limit (learned on St. Patrick's Day 2006, two locations). My dealer suggested using 899, which I followed, and haven't had any problems with since. (I haven't actually had a situation where the extra 100 would make a difference, so perhaps I'm lucky in that regard.)

This was on both Aloha 5.2.x and 5.3.x, and an edc version in the 5.x range. I'm under the impression that Enterprise has a 6.x version available, but I'm not sure if that has any benefit regarding the max transactions, or if it's relevant in this situation.

The only thing that you can do is set the limit of transactions. To apply the new changes, make sure you stop and restart the service. That is the only way I have been able to get EDC to recognize the change. 6.x will not change the limitations on transactions

Brad C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back