Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

333 Imac with OS X -Any hangups likely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trikynubs

Technical User
Jul 8, 2003
US
Can I put OS X. (0 or 2...) on my 333 megahertz Imac? All I want to do with this machine is surf via the router. I will gladly put in more memory if needed. Any technical information is appreciated.

well, I have OSX.2 running on a 333mhz beige G3 (with a 500mhz G3 upgrade card) so I don't see why not. (I added the card AFTER running OSX- it wasn't needed, I just wanted the boost)
What is the size of your hard drive? Mine was 6gb and I had to swap for a 9gb (I was installing classic too and it needed the "first 8gb" for OSX).
Put in a big HD and more memory (I have 384, but obviously more is better) and it should work no problem.
good luck!

if you do put in a larger drive, OSX must boot from the first partition and that partition must be 8 gig or less.

and Yes, OSX likes more RAM

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Thank you both for the info. BTW, is there any way PC memory will work in the Imac? Would 128 be enough memory? Assuming it fits, approximately what speed does the Imac 333 run it's memory at? Thanks TN

The iMac Uses 3.3 volt SDRAM SO-DIMMS, also used in Mac and PC laptops. The speed is PC66 10 ns, which so far as I know, is as slow as they come, so any one you find works.

the upper slot of RAM can hold 2 inch sticks upto 256 meg, the bottom can only hold 1.5 inch sticks, the larger pieces may be cheaper. Apple System Profiler will tell you what you have now without opening the case.

I do not think I hear of any happy OSX users with less than 256 meg of RAM, I would view the effort to get inside an iMac as worthy of filling it with 512Meg (the maximum) the first time I opened the case. Even full retail that is just $188.

Hold everything, HOLD Evrything. (slight pause) How much memory does os 9 require?

I am not sure what it requires, but it is happy in 80 meg, I bet it 'requires' 16 meg but you will not be happy

Anything pre-eMac is giving us problems running OSX. Just too clunkyon the older iMacs, pretty much anything that didn;t come as dual-boot in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back