Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3300 Survivable Gateway questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwbMitel

Technical User
Oct 11, 2005
CA
I'm tasked with quoting hours for inserting a survivable gateway into an existing network of 4 other fully networked controllers. The SG is in a remote calling area (Not Local)

What I know:
- Phones register to the main contoller
- Phones are resilient to the gateway

What I don't know:
- for ARS purposes, how do the phones in the remote location make a local call using the local lines
- Is the IP networking on the SG limited in anyway or would it be setup much lake a normal 3300

What I don't know I don't know:
- Anything, by anyone who has done one of these, that you think might be useful to a skilled Mitel tech.

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

kwbMitel,

The IP networking is the same as a typical 3300, it will need to be added to the cluster just like a user controller. As for you other question, I am not sure that I understand the question. If you want to expand on that I will try to help.

Miteltek. my question is specific to outbound calls when the network is functional and the sets are registered to the primary.

The SG is in a different toll calling area. If they just dial normally to make a local call within their area the call will fail as the call will be LD from the site they are registered to.

Should I set up special COR's to route their outbound local calls specifically thru the SG
Should I add all the NPA-NNX's for their area so all calls from any controller will route thru the SG
Should I setup a special ARS access code to dial out from the SG
Is there anything that might prevent me from programming outbound calls to go out the SG in a non-failover mode.

For local calls just create a digit mod with the local area access code.
In the UK this is not a problem whether you dial the full number or the local number without the area code.
I imagine this would be the same in the US.
You could always opt for SIP trunking with a local access code of your primary controller area and route all local calls over this link.

Share what you know - Learn what you don't

Supernova - Not quite the same I think. Over here we have to dial 10 digits for local and 11 digits for LD (Add a 1+).

I'm kind-of resigned to the fact that I will have to program all of the local exchanges so that I can route the call seamlessly.

That only leaves the question of whether the system will let me do so. I can't imagine that I won't be able to but you never know.

Looks like the US is kind of backward in this we have always been able to dial the full pstn number locally and the CO knows it is a local number and charge accordingly
Do you have something simular to us as call return?
When we get a CLI is is full pstn number
Do the telco's charge national rate when you dial the full number?
Crikey!

Do the sets only use the SG trunks when they fail over from primary controller or will they use them all the time?

The only limitation a survivable gateway has is dependent on the license package. It governs how many phones you can register on the SG. The SG you have mention (I'm assuming) can only ever register 8 IP phones maximum which means it only purpose is for LCR, local hop off and resiliency. All other configurable parameters are the same as a normal license package without any limitations. From memory the package includes IP Networking (Enterprise License) and compression. If you decide to use the SG as a normal PABX in the future you can only ever register 8 IP phones.

Knowledge is power, thats why we share!

Over here we have to dial 10 digits for local and 11 digits for LD (Add a 1+).

Actually, that is not fully true. It is provider dependent whether the 1 for LD is accepted for the local number. Found that out when a customer changed their providers from one that allowed it to one that did not. A user had programmed speed dials on his system phone including one to ring his wife's cell phone. He put 1 in for long distance because "she was out of town a lot!" Was quite upset to have to reprogram everything and wanted me to "fix" it instead.

If you did not take enough time to get it right the first time...

What makes you think that you have time to fix it?

Yeah Paterson, I'm aware that there are exceptions but I like to design for what will work rather than what may work.

voipin: your note is interesting to me as I was under the impression that zero IP sets could be configured on the SG (No user licenses period). With 4.1 it allows resiliency with zero IP licenses. Can you confirm the 8 phones? As it happens, I believe 8 phones is the design intent for the site in question. This might not be a coincedence if what you say is true.

Supernova: Canada actually but the method is the same (you'll note on the UK tourism website that Canadians do not like being mistaken for Americans. I admit it freely). Some carriers do allow you to dial 11 digits for local calling, most cell carriers for e.g., but they are the exception. Users are typically aware of their local calling areas. Keep in mind we're not as closely packed in as you guys. I live in a city of 1M+ and the nearest city of equal size is 300 KM away, the next 2 nearest are about 1300 KM, then 3500KM. (with that info you should be able to determine where I live in Canada BTW)

Bobcheese: I want to use the trunks under normal conditions, not just failover.

kwbMitel

With the new licensing structure resiliency is dependent on system capacity not licenses. So as an example a CXi would potential be able to support 150 devices which in your case would be 8 local handsets (maximum) and 142 resilient handsets.
Thats why they call it "survivable gateway", if your main site fails it acts as a resilient device. Make sure your licensing is an Enterprise solution, not Standard. However in saying that if all of your other system have IP Networking then they would all fall under the Enterprise umbrella.

I always design this solution when customers request a VMWare version of MCD and use the survivable gateway as the PSTN/Resilient device. I'm certain of this because I design and install the solution.

Cool voipin, that simplifies matters a lot.

If you only had 8 or less phones would you register them to the local gateway or to the main controller in a differnt city?

KwbMitel,
Sorry for the typo I should have said NA not US (that covers all you guys over that side of the pond)
I guess calling a Canadian an American is the same as calling a Kiwi an Aussie.(apologies)

Location best guess Edmonton, or possibly Calgary as with those distances you have to be in the middle of Canada!

So have you considered SIP trunking to provide local breakout? SIP is non-geographic so you should be able to match your area code of you primary to your SG location.

I would register them to the local gateway and make them resilient on the main controller.

Supernova - Best guess was good. Sip trunking is not an option, the site is quite remote. (Deep Bay, BC)

Voipin - That was my thinking as well, thanks for the confimation.

Thanks everyone for the help. Voipin gets the star though for the most useful, and unexpected, tidbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back