Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3300 NSU Options or Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncmurf00

IS-IT--Management
Aug 16, 2002
US
Hey everyone.

I have a question that I could use some opinion on.

Our current setup is a 3300 ICP, FIM to NSU and FIM to Pnode.
We have 2 digital link licenses, only 1 is being used.

While trying to connect a Wink E&M circuit to the 2nd port of my NSU, I discovered that you can't mix/match port types. Good times.

I had a 2nd NSU in storage which I tried to daisy chain, but found either the database or software is corrupt. (Keeps rebooting itself).

In the meantime, I've spent 9 months trying to get support from our local Mitel dealer. Great people, but the office has had some turnover and they're "cleaning house". I'm sure it will all be for the better eventually.

So. Here's my question. Given what I have, what's the best way to get a digital E&M connected to our system? Is the 2nd NSU the right option?

I appreciate your time.

I don't suppose anyone has the PRI_Upgrade package?

Remember the NSU will continue the boot cycle unless it has been programmed in the system and has trunks allocated.

You also need to remember the message link dip switch on the back if daisy chaining them. The primary NSU needs to have the switch set to 1 and the secondary NSU needs it set to 2.

If you serial in on the maintenance port of the secondary NSU at 38400 baud how does it reset?

If you see "SS: BOOTLOADER timed out (No Message Link Present) - Resetting!!!" then it's likely to be one of these two things.

Oh, and you need to connect from CIM port 2 on the Primary NSU to CIM port 1 on the secondary NSU. Not too obvious.

Use a crossover ethernet cable. The CIM port lights should not keep flashing - they should be steady even if the link is not programmed.

Thanks Techy.

I did set the dip switch, and the message you mentioned is correct.
If the unit keeps rebooting,the 3300 doesn't see it. If the 3300 doesn't see it, I can't program the trunks... LOL

Chicken and the egg.

Could use a good knock about the head. I'm sure I'm missing something small.

I did use a crossover cable from Cim2 to 1 on the 2nd nsu.
The lights do go solid.

Don't know if this helps, but as long as it keeps rebooting, I can't even get into IMAT.

Are you sure you can mix protocols on daisy chained NSU's? Also a T1 doesn't require IMAT.

There is a knowledge base article in flashing the NSU. That might be the first step.

The single biggest problem with communications is the illusion that it has taken place.

You will need to program it in the digital link and digital trunk assignments before the message link will come up.

If you use maintenance command "MESSAGE SUBSYSTEM" do you see a link for your NSU? If not the message link will never open.

If you do see a link to the NSU and it only ever says "SCAN" then there is a connection problem or the NSU requires a manual reflash.

If is says "BOOT" leave it alone for 20 minutes, it is downloading firmware from the controller.

Normal operation will say "OPEN

I had to take a 2nd look.
The error was what I was originally getting. After messing with it a little too much, now it can't open vxworks.

Will be looking for that article Loopy.

Did you deprogram the "original" 2nd link so that the licenses have not been exceeded?

Double-checked, but yes.
Since I couldn't program it for a different trunk type, it never got programed.

I think I'm going to try a Q.Sig on the first NSU instead of trying E&M on this broke one.

How about replacing the NSU with an embedded T1 card?/E1? It has 2 links, can run mixed protocols and no more need for IMAT. Needs controller with a 300 mhz processor (should not be a problem if controller is not real old) and would require deprogramming/reprogramming trunks and links, but is a good NSU replacement.

Thanks! I just might look into that. I'm really starting to run low in options here.
Since port 1 on the NSU is a PRI to the PSTN, my options are dwindling.

Any chance I could setup a Private PRI on PORT 2, being "Network Master" to connect to my other device?

I've tried QSig (not sure if the remote device supports it, couldn't get that to work).
Tried DMS100 as master, but I'm missing something.

I've done the reboots on the NSU as the programming changes. I just can't get the D-Channel to come up between the 2 devices. I have a good link, just not synchronizing.

eh... anyone have a public link to the NSU .zip package?

I give up... LOL

traditinally the NSU software was on the MCD software CD's.
I've flashed a few NSU before with no issues and this is where I got the software from. Hope this helps.

The NSU software is on the second "disk" of the software download. Article for flashing the NSU is 04-1000-00026_2

The single biggest problem with communications is the illusion that it has taken place.

I really appreciate everyone's help!
Got the NSU flashed and back to "normal".

DIP set to 2, xover cable in CIM2 on controller to CIM1 of the NSU. Solid green lights.

At what point does it become visible on the 3300 so that I can program it (so it will stop rebooting, looking for message link)?

That's what's got me confused.

Thanks!

Is it connected to the 3300 via the fiber cables?

Is the link configured on the 3300?

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

The first NSU is connected via Fibre.
The second NSU (in question) is connected via CIM.

The first NSU is visible and programmed. (production).
Both links on the first NSU are visible.

The second NSU can't be found in order to configure the link. I don't see any add options.

Crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back