Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

33.6 Fax PC Plug n Play USR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jood

Programmer
Nov 28, 1999
US
Visit site
I have voicemail through the telephone company. When I have a voicemail message waiting, I get a few fast beep sounds on my phone when I pick it up. If I wait 5-7 seconds this clears and I get a regular dialtone.<br>
<br>
If I don't clear this by receiving my voicemail messages before I attempt to connect online, I will be unable to connect and I will get a tapiexe error and have to reboot my pc, clear out voicemail, and then connect online.<br>
<br>
Is there a way to disable voicemail if I forget to check it? or is there a modem string that will pick up the phone, but will wait 5-7 seconds for the voicemail beep to stop and the regular dialtone to begin before it attempts to dial?<br>
<br>
Thank you all in advance for any help.<br>
<br>
Jood<br>

This occurs because the modem is attempting to detect dialtone before it tries to dial. The &quot;stuttered&quot; dialtone heard when you have a message waiting is not recognized by the modem.<br>
From a terminal program you can enter atx3&w&w1 to disable the detection of dialtone. This will allow the modem to dial out even with the &quot;stuttered&quot; dialtone. You may also want to add one to three commas in front of the number, as in ,,,5551234 in whatever software you are using. Please note that the modem will attempt to dial even if the phoneline is unplugged or if the line is already in use.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back