Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3270 libraries

Status
Not open for further replies.

j0nxuser

Technical User
May 4, 2003
US
Running RHAS4 and trying to install the 3270 suite and ran into a library issue.

As root (or any user) I can run X (xclock works and installed Oracle with X), but when I try to configure X3270 I get the following two errors which exit the install.

---------------------
checking for X... no
configure: error: 'Cannot find X utilities or libraries'
---------------------

env is a follows (for root):

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/u01/app/oracle/product/10.1.0/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/u01/app/oracle/product/10.1.0/bin:/root/bin

What am I missing?
Thank you,
Mark

OK - I just added X11R6 to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH for a new export of:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/u01/app/oracle/product/10.1.0/lib:/usr/local/lib:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib

...and still no luck.

I'm able to run s3270 (displayless, but I just need the X version).

Arrgh!

(I just recheck perms and owner and it looks like everythign should be OK for root)

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Mark

Is the source you are using freely downloadable somewhere so I can try it? I don't have access to an AS4 system, but can try on AS3 for you.

Annihilannic.

Most definitely.

I was trying to install the x3270 package.

(P.S. - I have this working on another box which I have tried to use as a comparison, but so far no luck)

I tried to rip apart the configure file, but it was over my head.

Side note: I am running a RHAS4 box and trying to install this package to interface with an IBM maninframe. Once connected I have to write screen scraping scripts to fetch data. I need the X version so I can visually count lines and spaces/columns. Once I have all of that done I can write the perl script and run it in s3270.

Thanks again!!!

Instructions for install per man/build page:
./configure
make depend
make
./dryrun
make install
make install.man
xset fp rehash

Is the box that it's working on also RHEL AS4? If so, try comparing the packages installed on both systems, perhaps the system where it isn't working is missing some -devel packages required for the compilation.

Annihilannic.

When I tried this on RHEL AS3 I had exactly the same error, I installed XFree86-devel and its dependencies and then it compiled fine.

You can tell from the config.log why it's failing the configure step, it complains about a missing Intrinsic.h wich is a part of the XFree86-devel package.

Annihilannic.

Darn it - I think that you may be right on the money.

I don't remember seeing or installing XFree86-devel.

I'm going to try this in a few.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

Please keep your fingers crossed for me!

Mark

That was it. Darn it - Always the most obvious, too. I did a yum install from our corporate servers and re-executed the install commands and tested it.
Now, the kick in the pants is that the IBM mainframe is shut down today which means no live testing, oh well.

Thanks again!

It was just a "yum install xorg-x11-devel.i386"

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back