Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

32 bit OS on 64 bit computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naro

Technical User
Sep 4, 2003
US
Because some of my applications (Lotus SmartSuite in particular) will not run properly in 64 bit OS, and because I'm probably going to have to purchace a new 64 bit computer... I want to install my (new, unopened, full version) XP SP3 OS on the new machine in hopes that it will run my older 32 bit apps. Do you think I'll be o.k, or am I apt to still have trouble?

Your 32-bit OS will install on your 64-bit machine quite successfully. What if any other operating systems will be on the machine?

Why not take the opportunity of getting Windows 7 64-bit (Professional edition) and running Windows Virtual XP Mode which is a free download of XP Professional SP3 (32-bit and Activated already) to run inside of Windows 7 as a Virtual Machine.

Windows Virtual PC
Download Windows XP Mode

Windows XP Mode (Windows 7 only, but not any of the Home versions) "You are not eligible to download Windows XP Mode. You must have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to run Windows XP Mode".

32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions

Be careful of Linneys advice.

Your 32-bit OS will install on your 64-bit machine quite successfully

This is true ONLY is the make provides XP drivers. As time goes on this will be less and less common (pretty much 100% at the moment, but in a year or two?)
Bear in mind XP pretty much end of life.
There will be NO ie9 for example, they pretty much have stopped devloping new drivers for it, so you will be at the mercy of the hardware makers.

The other Option is a dual boot 7 & XP system, that way you can see what software does and does not run.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Thank you both. Good thought from Linney. Good Caution from Sympology.

You can still purchase a 32 bit version of Windows 7... it doesn't have to be XP or Vista

Thanks NESWalt, I did know that. My confusion has to do with a 64 bit machine vs 64 or 32 bit OS or other software. I keep having this paranoid feeling that a 64 bit computer with a 32 bit OS running is somehow going to bite me on the butt. I'm aware of the drivers issues. But the above advice is a great place to start for me.

If you upgrade your system, then why don't you upgrade your apps?
For all parts of SmartSuite, there are alternatives, both free and payed.

Thanks TonHu,
So tell me about any app that replaces Approach? That would import my existing database,etc.? I don't mind upgrading apps, just don't want to loose data or functionality. Any suggestions would be welcome. For instance: Open Office does NOT fit the bill. Microsoft ACCESS might, but no one is certain. Oracle might, but no one is certain, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back