Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

32 bit applications on 64 bit windows 2003 terminal server. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dloz30

MIS
Feb 23, 2010
US
We have 3 64 bit windows 2003 enterprise terminal servers with 16 gig of memory. One of our applications however does not run under 64 bit internet explorerer. So we have to use the 32 bit version of internet explorer. My question is how does the memory constraint of 32 bit come into play here. Would each 32 bit process be able to access 4 gb of ram or do all of my 32 bit IE processes share 4gb?

I am assuming this is a web app? I run a TS Server 64 bit and any apps run fine just when installed they install under programs(X86) folder.

dloz30 - The 32-bit app would have the same restraints as if it were running on a 32-bit system. 32-bit apps on 64-bit basically run on an emulator with 32-bit DLLs.

Running Internet Explorer under a different user will be a separate process and if 1 user is using 2gb of ram for IE then you should have a talk with him/her.

There is no need to run IE as 64bit, terminal server or not.

It is a web based application. No one user is using 2gb of ram. The application is a pig and they have not done much to address the IE memory leak. The only reason I posted this question was users on the terminal server seem to use less memory than when they run it locally. Everything I have read about the memory constraint refers to how much memory an application can access. I am just trying to figure out if they mean each process or do all IE processes equal 1 application.

When you read about memory limits to a 32 bit process, it's simply just that. Because your terminal users are all logging in on separate accounts, they will all have their own process of internet explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back