Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3160 Failures....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjwilson12379

IS-IT--Management
Oct 5, 2003
Good morning (or afternoon):

Have a conversion from Cavalier to ATT.... circuit is great on Cav w/ the 3160 going into the OLD legend R.5. Set for ESF, B8Zs, and only seems to work on DMS-250. As soon as we plug into the ATT switch, the 3160 satays greened up, but when we try varying protocols on the Legend (supossed to be 5ess/custom) the legend red alarms up w/ D channel lost, ds1 mismatch. New config on att is esf/b8zs/attcsutom 5ess.

cannot get a print of the system since the legend modem seems to be a little non-functional.

Help?

Make sure you go into menu, maintenance, system, error logs - and delete all DS1 related errors from the permamnent and temporary error logs.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

I assume you're talking about the Paradyne 3160 CSU. It's responsible for framing, line coding, 1's density, channelization and other low layer stuff. On a PRI, the framing and line coding MUST BE B8ZS/ESF. And if the channelization settings work for the old circuit, it's probably fair to assume that all 24 channels are mapped to the DTE. But check these values anyway.

Outside of that, the problem will almost certainly be the protocol. I've gone 'round and 'round with Bell techs who have been adament that their protocol is correct. But stand your ground and duke it out with them. There are lots of hard-headed Bell types who still confuse Custom protocol with NI-1.

There are tons of posts about the whole protocol thing, and I won't waste iron oxide here by reposting it all. Just know this: If you are able to readily able to move the cable from AT&T to Cavalier and have it come up, then our friends at AT&T are on the hook to make some changes.

The other thing you can do is go right from AT&T's jack straight to the 100DCD board and eliminate the CSU. Then you can prove it is not the CSU.

Yes - but if you go straight to the T1 - you will need to use a T1 cross-over cable. A straight-thru T1 cable (like from the Paradyne) will not work.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Thanks, we are actually doing the port today. Will this work without a CSU going stragiht into the pri board?

Found out that the stupid little @#$%#$% at Verizon a) flipped a pair in their T extension to the suite and b) had a faulty smart jack in the shelf. Nothing like crap from a crap company to screw up a cut.

Yes, You CAN bypass the CSU directly to the 100D, and if you taking the circuit from the NI, you can use a standard CAT5 Patch cord.

I've had 4 3150 & 60's go bad in the last 12 months, and had to do a few of those temporary by-passes myself....

You've got to verify the switch the circuit originates from, if it's ESS 4 or 5, they MUST, no exceptions, must use custom!
If it's a DMS100 or 250, dont forget the L1 Flag!

MrTelecom1
Living the AT&T/Lucent/Avaya issues
since 1979!

Imagine this, they fix the smart jack and flip the pair around that was wrong, change the patch to the ATT circuit and was up, tested and ported within 5 minutes. It took me major pains to get ATT to do a pretest (with an IP Office), I wish ever lec would pretest their stuff to avoid such issues.

You actually don't even need the 100DCD mod - just either the Legend or Magix 100D - 100DS1 and cable straight to the mod from the smart jack. We find some LEC/CLECs are now allowing you to eliminate the CSU.

Where any CAP circuit is involved, a CSU is required by the FCC.

You would only be allowed to eliminate the CSU in the case where the (C)LEC has already provided one, as they do with channelbanks or flex products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back