Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

300gig NTFS partition, seen as 128 gig fat16, how to recover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate12345

Technical User
Oct 12, 2004
US
I have a 300 gig hard drive (logical drive, used for storage) that's one partition. I was using it in windows server 2003. I then decided to convert back to windows 2000 temporarily, it didn't recognize the 300 gig hard drive and say it as 128gigs. I didn't touch any settings for it at all during install and when I tried to browse it it wanted me to format, I of course said no. I then upgraded from windows 2000 to windows xp, and now in windows xp it also wants me to format it and is seeing it was a 128gig fat 16 drive.

Can someone recommend a recovery utility? The data has to still be there just fine, it was never touched. Windows 2000 just seemed to not recognize it (probably due to the size) and changed it to fat16 (I assume the largest size for fat16 is 128gig).

Nate

OK steallar phoenix has a ntfs recovery tool that I think will work, but it's $100, does anyone know of a cheaper solution? The other one I downloaded (can't remember name) was cheaper, but it didn't remember file names it seemed (would have renamed files like FIL1.xls FIL2.xls, & w/thousands of files that would create a ton of work).

Nate

I used GetDataBack by Runtime software and it recovered all the files perfectly and with full file names. Cheaper than Stellar (although the interface is worse, but it worked so..). Just wanted to post this in case someone else runs into a similar problem.

Nate

Hello,
I suppose using Data Recovery tool - EASEUS DataRecoveryWizard.
It is imho the best one among it's family. Easy to use and powerful.
It actually never failed me before. Recommended!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back