Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

30,000 pigs 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the topic of misunderstanding the news, our boss hired his 18-year-old daughter as our receptionist. She was delivering mail to our desks one afternoon when my monitor was displaying MSNBC headlines. The current headline on the screen was:

MSNBC Headline said:
12 Brazilian Troops Killed in Amazon Ambush

"Boss Daughter" says, "That's just terrible, Dave." Then she followed up with the question, "How many is a 'brazilian'?"

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel."

I trust you answered "a dozen"?

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

CajunCenturion said:
I trust you answered "a dozen"?
in response to "How many is a 'brazilian'?".

In which case, "12 Brazilian" would be 144.

Reminds me of this old US joke, spoken:
"Daddy, what is 'a rack'"?
- It's a country.

[tongue]

“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.” (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

"How many is a 'brazilian'?"
I heard this attributed to Dubya when he was told of the Brazilian man killed by police in Stockwell Streed Underground Station in London.

Aspiring to mediocrity since 1957

Today (or let it be yesterday) Flickr has extended free space for every user to 1 Terrabyte.

30,000 pics is nothing, you can store brazillions of pics now. Terrafying, isn't it?

Bye, Olaf.

I still remember a high school teacher talking about taking a biology class and not fully understanding what exactly a Mean Old Acid (amino acid) was.

Noway2 said:
...not fully understanding what exactly a Mean Old Acid (amino acid) was

Recently in the children's Sunday School "Sharing Time" at church, the adult leader asked the children:

Adult: Who can tell me what "resurrection" is?

(Several children raise their hands. Adult leader calls on 7-year-old.)

7-year-old: If you have it for more than four hours, you gotta go to the doctor.

It just proves that the kid really is listening!

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

I worked with a guy who said he took the little pill when he didn't need it, to try it out and it lasted more than 4 hours and was excruciatingly painful. He went to the ER, told them what happened and they said that they could fix him up. As he lay there, at attention, the nurse came up with a great big hypo shot ... and yup, you guessed it.

I remember (a decade or so ago) hearing a really great song on the radio. Six Thousand New Heartaches. Well, I got fooled, it's Sixth Avenue Heartache. I kinda like my lyrics better.

====================================
Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side because there is more manure there - original.

Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Bad Moon Rising" has a line: "There's a bad moon on the rise". I always sing it as "There's a bathroom on the right". I think I got that from a TV show.

[americanflag]

The funniest one I heard on a local radio station.

They had just played a song by Blue Oyster Cult.

The DJ gets on the air and says:
"That's Blue Oyster Cult with 'Burning from you'. Wait, did I say 'Burning _from_ you'? That puts a whole new twist on that song..."

I had to pull my car over I was laughing so hard.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

I used to hear "Slip Sliding Away " on the radio when it first came out and I thought Paul Simon was saying "Schlitz Lite in the Rain."

Another one was Dwight Yoakam's "A Thousand Miles from Nowhere" in the line "echoes in my mind" I thought he was saying "pickles in my mind." It made no sense to me. LOL

Jim

Trivia note: These mistakes are called Mondegreens.

There are many websites dedicated to these but I won't spoil the fun by linking.

2 good ones from my personal experience:
- ELO's song Strange Magic, one day I heard "gonna, strain my dick" - couldn't get it out of my head.
- My son used to belt out "Toothpaste and Love" for Canada's National Anthem. (True Patriot Love)

The most famous one I know is " 'scuse me while I kiss this guy" from Purple Haze, Jimi Hendrix

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

The Hendrix "Purple Haze" mondegreen was actually performed in parody with those lyrics by Frank Zappa on his "Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life" CD.

====================================
Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side because there is more manure there - original.

As this thread seems to have strayed to musical misunderstandings, I had an excellent one when I was a younger lad. After having attending my very first dance in Junior High, I was quoted to have asked a friend come Monday at school "who sings that awesome 'video kid in the radio store' song they played on Friday at the dance?" after a blank look from my friend, I hummed a bit of it, or whatever and got a bit of a chuckle outta him... "...do you mean 'Video Killed the Radio Star'?". "Ya... maybe." hahaha. I still have a good chuckle at it most any time I hear the imfamous Buggles song. [smile]

Years later, I remember asking a different friend what the name of the song that went [insert my impression of the music here] at the Grad celebration we were at, got the reply "you mean 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' by Guns N Roses?"

*facepalm* Apparently I wasn't good with "known"/"big" popular music when I was younger.

Mike
---------------------------------------------------------------
"To be alive is to revel in the moments, in the sunrise and the sunset, in the sudden and brief episodes of love and adventure,
in the hours of companionship. It is, most of all, to never be paralyzed by your fears of a future that no one can foretell."

and since this is Making An Impression... that would be "iNfamous" song. egad.

Mike
---------------------------------------------------------------
"To be alive is to revel in the moments, in the sunrise and the sunset, in the sudden and brief episodes of love and adventure,
in the hours of companionship. It is, most of all, to never be paralyzed by your fears of a future that no one can foretell."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back