Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3 PRI circuits on a MICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

norteld

Vendor
Apr 9, 2007
US
Hello all,

I have a customer who currently has a MICS with 6.1 software and 2 PRI circuits who wants to expand their system to have 3 PRI circuits. What are my options? I have read online that the MICS can be equipped with 3 PRI circuits, but none of them say what is needed to make it happen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1)6.1 or 7.1 xc software
2)sleeve carthrige rel.2
3)12x0 module

Thanks for your quick response firenut. I'm not in front of the system right now, but I'm sure I'll need to replace the software, and possibly the cartridge. If I replace either, am I in danger of losing the PRI enabler? Thanks again for your help!

Not if you follow the upgrade procedure. We need to know the s/w your at now. There can be no other cards in Trunk Module and it must be in the left slot.

Adversity is Opportunity

The software version is SP:30DEC04 NAT. Do I need some sort of upgrade kit?

You're running MICS 7.0 sw. You should be ok without a sw upgrade, provided you're using the same Telco for the third PRI.

Actually, they probably won't be using the same telco for the 3rd PRI. It's looking like they are going to be using the 3rd PRI for outbound long distance. Will I need to get the XC software then?

Chances are you'll be ok. I always take 7.1 on site with me just in case when I do a PRI cut. I've had some trouble with pre-7.1 sw and PRI's- dependant on the switch type the Telco's using. Hence, the remark about the same Telco- same provider, same brand switch.

You don't necessarily need XC, unless you're running XC now, or a hardware upgrade will force you into it. The rule is- 2 fiber cards and you'll need XC. (But I think you know that.)

I do have 7.1 sw so I'll take it with me just in case. Thanks again for the help Rik. I really appreciate it.

The 3rd PRI can only be a Point to Point (tying two locations together) not to the outside world.

False oneofthegirls.

3rd PRI can go anywhere.
Its best to use it for point-to-point, since you have no settings for clocking. But, there is no rule stating it must be used as such.

-SD-

this is the response from Nortel direct
Regarding your inquiry on the following:

In a MICS: I can have 3 PRI's. The first 2 PRI's (in the core) are connected to the public network (DID/DOD). The 3rd PRI (located in Trunk Module #8), can this also be connected to the public network (DID/DOD) or can it only be used as a Point-to-Point circuit tied to another location?

Response:

No, that 3rd PRI can only be used as a point-to-point connection with an ending location.

you can have 3T1 on a mics with 7.1xc i currently have one in service so the answer is yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back