Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3 nic cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhidalgo

MIS
Jun 13, 2001
US
is it possible to use to internet connections with isa. One is a dsl connection, one is a fractional t1 and the other is connected to our internal network. I was going to try and do this instead of have a seperate machine for the dsl connection.

Hi,

as far as I know you cann't have more then one interface card connected to the Internet. More specifically, you can only have *one* default gateway and this can only be defined on *one* interface card. This is not a ISA but a W2K issue.

More info at
Greetings,
Stefaan

Actually you can - We have an ADSL line, and a microwave link both runnig off the same ISA server. It's an absolute B&*CH to set up but it seems to work!

Windows 2k definately can have 2 gateways.

PS - we actually have an ISDN connection on the ISA server too (as a third line of defence) so I guess that's the same as 4 NICs / 3 internet connections.

ISA server interacts with RRAS which does the routing. I'm having problems with connections (particualrly pc anywhere) dropping off though, and finding it very hard to tell which part of the set up it is. This set up seems to be totally undocumented, so if anyone else is using it I'd be very interested to hear from you!

If spending a few hundred dollars is an option, you might consider trying out the Nexland Pro800turbo router. It supports two internet connections. You can choose to use one of the connections only as a backup if your primary one goes down, or you can load balance between the two and take advantage of them. Our ISA server is then plugged into the router. So far, I dig it and complaints.

Hello,
Just wanted to let you guys know that I tried out the Nexland Pro800turbo router. I think that this would be fine and dandy for the simplest of networks, but if you are planning on having more than one IPs on the external NIC then the Nexland Pro800turbo router is not your choice b/c it only supports 1 external IP. Also the built in firewall is very limited as well. I have been looking at a more expensive solution called RainConnect
If anyone out there knows of a less expensive way to accomplish this please let me know.

By the way there is also a good article on this here:

Tad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back