Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3-digit extensions - Best Practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

klg1

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2003
US
Hello all,

I've been watching the forum for a while - tons of good stuff here. I'm a newbie and I've searched here for the answer to my question; I hope it's not a repeat.

Environment: Partner R7 with 4-port Partner Messaging R7; small office, 1 operator (ext 10) plus 3 physical extensions (12, 14, 15); AA is running, extensions are setup for auto VM cover. Mailboxes 12, 14, and 15 have been created.

Objective: Partner Messaging says it can be setup for up to 4-digit extensions, and I'd like to be setup to use 3-digit extensions (for example, I've changed the AA prompt to say: "For Moe, dial 312, for Larry, dial 314, for Curly, dial 315"). I feel that our office is too small to try the "dial 1 for sales..., etc. as the same 2-3 people will always answer).

Question: On the day (and night) AA menu, I've setup selector code 3 to play a submenu, and the submenu has selector codes 1 through 3 setup for direct extension transfers. Presumably, the first dialed-digit is stripped off as the selector code, leaving the next two dialed-digits as the "real" extension number. This seems to be working (mostly, see below), but I want to know if this is the "correct" way to achieve this functionality. The only problems I run into at the moment are that sometimes after dialing the selector code, the AA says "The ??? has not been recorded", and I can't seem to dial into VM to check messages at any time during the AA prompt. As for the "... has not been recorded" part, I don't really want any speech with the submenu, I just want to process DTMF. Should I be doing something similar with Phantom mailboxes like 312, 314, and 315 that deposit messages into mailboxes 12, 14, and 15 respectively?

Thank you!!
-klg

it will work

you need to record as much silence as it will allow in the sub menu message

if you cant record silence then pause as long as posssible and then say something like "please dial the extension number now "

to check messages do a *7 during the first aa prompt

Hi klg1,
I am mystified as to why you don't simply have people dial the correct extension number. That's the system two digit one. Yes you can use "work arounds", but there is really no need to do this. You have a small office with a few people.
-Chris

Hi ITP,

It's pretty simple - I'm used to 3- or 4- digit extensions, and want to use 3-digit extensions in my office. I recognize this is a workaround of sorts (except that Partner Messaging says it supports up to 4-digit extensions and would never see 1000+ physical ports on a Partner system, or 1000+ mailboxes), but I need feedback from the forum as to whether this is the best way to get the functionality I'm looking for.

Hi klg1,
It will work, but it's a work around and will never be as smooth as using the system as it was designed. Your choice.

Normally we use 3 digit mailboxes as guest (no physical phone) type mailboxes. What you are doing is fighting the system architecture. It's always nice when the extension is the same as a mailbox number.

One thing to consider is this. If the mailbox # = your ext #, when you are asked for your ext # from your phone, you can just hit the "#" key instead of entering the number, then your password. So you are forcing everyone to push three extra keys, every time - for nothing.

-Chris

Hi ITP,

Thanks for your feedback thus far. Just to clarify, right now each mailbox # is built the same as the ext. #. We can hit # to login to voicemail when prompted for the extension, no dialing extra digits internally, and the message waiting light comes on when we have a message.

I guess the question at this point is whether using a selector code and submenu to simulate a 3-digit extension is a smoother workaround than a 3-digit Phantom Mailbox that delivers VM to its corresponding 2-digit (end-user) mailbox.

To use an IT analogy, it would be nice to be able to "alias" my 2-digit mailbox/extension with something that is 3-digits, accessible to the outside world via the AA.

Maybe IPOffice is a better fit for us? ;)

Thanks,
-klg1

Hi klg1,
Yes, and yes. I was also thinking that iP Office might be better for you, or a Magix. The iP Office is more flexible.
The Partner is a great system, but I think you are trying to make it into something it isn't. The Partner is my favorite small business solution by far. It seems that you are stuck on three digit extensons, but that's the only problem you have with the system. There is nothing wrong with just using 2 digit extension numbers.
-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back