Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3 DIFFERENT O/S's !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzaqman2005

Technical User
Jul 12, 2005
US

When I boot up my Dell Inspiron 2650 I unfortunately get the M1004 error (Which I figure will never go away) but after I hit the F1 ket to continue, the display screen asks me to pick an operating system. My choices are Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows XP.
I am using the Windows 2000 OS and would like to delete the other two XP's.

I have done this once in the past and have forgotten how to do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The M1004 error will not go away, I have tried everything under the sun although any suggestions may help with this.

Thank you.

Phil

You need to go into your boot.ini (which may be hidden). Delete the ones like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Keep the one that has the 2000 Operating System.

Hope that helps,

Erik

How do you get into your boot.ini????? Start/Run???

HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP (Q289022)

It is also available via System Properties/ Startup and Recovery. Look for the Edit button.

Here is your old thread. Type some thing in it and bump it up to the top of the forum for another effort.

ERROR M1004 DELL INSPIRON 2650
thread779-1092503

Beep Codes.

Beeps codes are the audio beeps that the mainboard will output when your system has problems. Generally they are used to identify booting problems.

His POST Was Toast

Can not find the .ini file.

I went into setting so that it just passes this on boot up.

thanks anyway.

Boot.ini is a System and a Hidden file, it may also be set for Read Only. It is normally found in the root of C: drive.

You need to show System and Hidden files to see it. This is a setting preference in Folder Options/ View.

Go to My Computer, right click on it and go to properties. Go to Advanced tab and then go to Startup and Recovery and go to Settings.

Click Edit on System Startup. There is the boot.ini file. Delete the ones like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

That is all you need to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back