Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3/5 Resource Split - BCM 400 - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSilverberg

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2006
CA
I run a BCM 400 with expansion cabinet. It's running a 2/6 split right now and I desperately need to move it to a 3/5 split (loosing a bus resource I don't really need).

How do I accomplish this? Perhaps someone can give me a walkthrough? Thanks in advance!!

From Element Manager, you click on resources and then application resources and on that page is the option to modify the DS30 split.

I should clarify, I am using BCM3.6 build 2.2c

I do not have "application resources" under the resources tree. It is also called a Unified Manager, so what exactly is Element manager? Is it another utility that until now I've been blissfully ignorant of, or is it with a newer release?

Sorry-I assumed it was 4.0.

On 3.6 you open up diagnostics, then click on MSC, then click on configuration , then click on DS30 split. From there you can change it.

In the Unified Manager, Open the Configure Tab, Click the radio button next to Diagnostics,

Instead of clicking the radio button next to MSC,

Click MSC itself so you see the System Version window.

Click the configuration tab at the top and you will see DS30 Split. Check that menu tab and it will open the dialog box that you need.

Change it to 3\5 and restart after you perform a system backup

I you have anything in bus 7 you WILL lose it, so make sure bus 7 is free.

Elements Manager started with the BCM 50 when Nortel wisely miagrated to Linux and continues with the 4.0 release

Thanks so much gentlemen, this is exactly what I was looking for and I suppose I just clicked too deep!!

As a follow up, I realize I will loose Bus 7, I currently have a Trunk interface on it, can I simply move it to another bus, or is there more involved?

Did the diligence, and I have to simply modify the dip switches to reflect a different bus #, correct?

Because it's a T1 trunk, do I have to otherwise inform the system that it's switched buses?

I intend to remove a 4 port analog trunk on bus 5, place the T1 (it's my second trunk) in it's place and bring the system back up.

Just making sure I'm prepared, thanks again for the assist.

Just change the Dip switchs to make it BUS 5. and unless you had to make changes to the default setting on the original T1 when it was in BUS 7 it should work without any changes.

Check first before you do the 3/5 split that you need actually need to do it,i think its only if you have more than 59 ip phones,and note if you do the split and then change back to 2/6 you might lose all programming.

Thanks guys - I do in fact have to make the resource change. I have 3 x 32+ DSMs and don't anticipate more TDM sets (we're near it's max) and need to an IP client headroom for additional IP sets. After that I'm maxed out and will be forklifting the system in favour of a Mitel 3300 setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back