Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3.2 freezes before disk initialization on fresh install

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoTexPal

MIS
Jan 22, 2004
US
I am trying to load (fresh install) SCO Unix r3.2v4.21 on an old Pentium-based IBM PC with a 1.2GB ide disk. After I select "Fully Configurable Initialization", the system just sits there. I've also tried the "Automatic Initialization", but the same thing happens. All the hardware components, including the disk, worked under Windows 98. Any suggestions?

Usually it is a case of the installer not being able to recognize the hard drive controller.
I've never dealt with IDE on 3.2v4.2 so I don't know the answer, but would suggest the manual for the settings for the boot string, assuming that you have a version with documentation. If you have a reduced docs set post back, I'll dig an install set out of the pit.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

in 3.2.4.2 IDE setting is set to normal not LBA

[ponder]
----------------
ur feedback is a very welcome desire

Thanks. I've got the release notes and installation guide documentation. I'll try the different bootstrings, although there's nothing there specifically for the disk being used (Quantum Fireball 1280MB AT).

I'm a Unix lightweight, so the following is over my head:

"in 3.2.4.2 IDE setting is set to normal not LBA"

Could you please explain?

SoTexPal, this isn't Unix related, but BIOS setting for the disk geometry (Cylinders/Heads/Sectors).

Hope This Help
PH.

This PC uses SurePath BIOS that doesn't seem to have a way to change the settings.

try and look for biosgeom string. also if if remeber correctly there was a btld fro ide and some patch work for Penium class machines (post install)

[ponder]
----------------

It seems that my best bet is to find another PC with a SCO Unix compatible disk drive. Thanks to all.

Be aware that SCO Unix r3.2v4.21 is a very old OS.
You're likely to have problems with PC not 10 years old.

a better bet it to try upgraded unix or an old system say 486 with < 1gb hdd to avoid 525 mb limitation and processor compatibility issues

[ponder]
----------------

3.2.4.2 works fine on pentiums, and the limitation is boot within first 1024 cylinders. The drive should be OK as long as your boot partition is within those limits. And that is a choice you make during setup, once you get the controller talking to the installer.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

3.2.4.2 works fine on pentiums. Sorry i went too far. It should have been Pentium Pro. On these P-Pro, 3.2.4.2 panics with trap 6

[ponder]
----------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back