Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2x Questions. Word startup error and print screen into word.!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjaa

Technical User
Feb 3, 2010
DK
Hi then im back for more guidance!

I got 2 problems with my word, and i will try to describe them as good i can.

My first problem is that, whenever i open Word i got this following error: WordError i have tryed to find a solution on the web but i haven't been able to find anything, maybe you got some fixes?

My secound problem is that, my print screen works just perfect, i can take dumps and throw them in outlook, paint ect. but when i try in word i can see the shape of the picture but the only visible is the blue bottom windows line? Anyone got som helpfull advises? :D

In advance many thanks, and best regards,
Kristian

Just for the bit more of info.

When i try and click send error when it appears in Word, i get a message that i can choose to start up normally or in safemode, when trying normal i restarts and the first error screen appears agian, so the process starts over. But however it works in safemode, and maybe the problem could be en some template or add-on maybe? But if so i can't seem to find out any way to fix it :)

The secound problem is solved, a renaming of the normal.dot to normal.dot.old files worked great! For now at least :p

Still having problems with the worderror on startup!

If Word starts properly in Safe Mode, it is an AddIn causing the problem. The problem does come in identifying the AddIn causing the problem if you can't start Word normally.

Renaming the Settings Value in the Word Data key in the Registry (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Data) can solve many problems, as Word will create a new one from its defaults. Although AddIn details are held there, that may not help in this case, however, and you may need to remove the actual AddIns. They will be in one of two places - the Word StartUp folder (by default %AppData%\Microsoft\Word\Startup), or what is often, but wrongly, called the Office StartUp folder (by default %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\STARTUP).

If removing the AddIns - and you will have to remove them from those folders, renaming will not help (I usually create a sub-folder called Hidden, and put them in there) - solves the problem you know it's an AddIn, aand you can put them back one by one to find the culprit.

If it isn't an AddIn, it may be a COM AddIn. These are held individually in the registry - in sub-keys of either HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\AddIns, or HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\AddIns. If you rename these keys the AddIns will not be loaded and if that solves the problem you know it was one of them and, again, you can put them back one at a time till you find the guilty one.

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

I'm working (slowly) on my own website

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the fast answer, and it did help me at some part but think an renaming of the 4 normal.dot files also had to be done. I don't know why i didten try that before my post :) But it works now!

So thankes for your time mate!

BR
Kristian

Kjaa,

As a side note on your #2 issue mentioned. If you do a lot of working with print screens, I think this program is WELL worth the investment:

It is VERY flexible, has its own built-in editor, and if you like the ribbon in Office 2007, this program uses a similar layout in that area. It really is a very user friendly program. I've been using it at work now for a few years, maybe 5 years come to think of it. Anyway, I couldn't see myself working without it (some days, anyway).

kjv1611,

I actually got SnagIt in my firm, and on my workstation and im with you there it's a really nice program, worth the money! But the problem im talking about is on one of the users in the firm and because the program is licensed they can't get it ;)

Well, just a thought here - if they do a lot of print screens, wouldn't it be worth it to buy the extra license there as well?

Actually, where I work, I think we've got a large corporate license type deal to where it works out pretty cheap on a per client basis, not sure of the details.

Sure it would, i can ask them to take it up with their boss and see if they can get an approvel, you are right if we can get it cheap per client, then it's a must do, you can't stop using it after you have tried it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back