Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2TB Hitachi Deskstar CoolSpin 5K3000 performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwstad

Technical User
Sep 16, 2011
GB
Hi Guys, i have recently purchased 2* 2TB Hitachi Deskstar CoolSpin 5K3000 5900 rpm 32Mb cache. I bought the drives as i thought there would be a massive improvement over my old drives. They seem to operate ok, but when i copy date between them the data rate is ~ 7mb so to copy a 42 gig of data it estimates over 3 hrs. Although the drives are sata 3, i am running them on a sata 2 interface. i believe this shouldn't cause an issue and i should still get a respectable transfer rate. Can anyone help

best regards

Chris

What motherboard are you running these on?

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

Hi Bob, its a GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 Featuring AMD 770 Chipset

Just curious if you have read the reviews on your board on Newegg. Apparently this board was a bit of a lemon but we can try to see what we can do.

Download Barts Stuff Test and see what the read/write speeds are.
Go in to the options and change it to a Quick test and then start the test.

great will do that and send the results. i bought the system pre built. that will teach me lol

Hi Bob, total 1.6 GB xfer 10.2Mb/s max 11Mb/s avg 10Mb/s

Just to note the transfer rate starts off really well then drops significantly after that. after i cancel the job the system becomes unresponsive for a long period of time

Hmmm should be way higher than that, did you do the Quick Test in the options menu?

Hell my old 160GB Sata drive was pulling 24-30mb on avg.
Try it again with the Quick Test just to be sure, unless you did that.

I would start by looking into the motherboard and see if there are any updated Chipset drivers. Assuming you've tried this, have you tried a different SATA port on the board?

What OS? are the SATA2 Ports set to IDE Mode or NATIVE (AHCI)? see page 72 in the manual... (DO NOT CHANGE IT TO RAID)...

PS. I average on a Samsung 750GB at around 81mb and on a WD 500GB 65mb, just as a reference using Bart's Stuff Test...

also besides driver updates look also into a BIOS update...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Hi guys, i tried it on windows 7 and i was getting ~ 43Mb /s xfer with bart. i was getting 10 on server 2008 so as bob suspected it looks like it may be a driver issue.any ideas?

it sounds like your drives may be set for SATA I speed (1.5Gps instead of the 3Gps that the system handles)...

Suggestion, you donwload the Hitachi Feature Tool and check the setting, be sure you read the manual on how to check and change the transfer mode. The tool and manual can be downloaded from the link below...

let us know how it goes...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Thanks Ben, just copy partitioning the drive now which is taking an absolute age even in dos, so something is clearly not right. will update you as soon as the process has finished.

Hi Ben, sorry the feature was not available on the drive so i was unable to test it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back