Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2nd route for incoming traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

coniglio

Technical User
Jun 17, 2003
US
i have a T1 in a remote office that handles in and outbound traffic. In the event the T1 goes down (like it is right now) they do have a backup RLI consisting of eight CO lines to call out on. What I want to know is...how do i tell if they have an INCOMING backup route? is there even such a thing? please give me as much detail as possible. thank you very much for your help.

That is all up to whatever you and the carrier might have set up. You have no real control over it from your end , if they see the T1 go down for a certain period of time then they are the ones that redirect the calls. Not sure how fast I guess that depends on the carrier. If there is another way please someone feel us in.

so in other words I need to contact AT&T. I cannot take POTS lines and somehow make an incoming back up route? there is nothing i can build or anything?

As far as I know that's correct, because the carrier has control of incoming calls.

In your route data block, you can program multiple RLI's. So if your T-1 is RLI 1, and it goes down, and your POTS lines are built as RLI 2, when RLI 1 goes down the CO should see the T-1 go down and "roll" all your calls to RLI 2. But all of this will have to be co-ordinated with them also, and tested to make sure they did it right. And you'll have to build these as in and out trunks.

the CO meaning the LEC? And coordinated with whom? the LEC and AT&T (this is who we purchased the circuit from)? coordinated when? at the time the T1 fails? thanks for your help.

We have backup routing where it's possible. Some CO can do that, others don't, at least with their current software release. All in all, that is an agreement with the PTC.

Ericcson AXE, Alcatel 1000, can do that automatically. Other like Siemens ESWD can do it just manually.
The draw back is that they reroute the calls to only one number, so, if you use DID, you have to send that number to an operator (human or machine) to get the service or extension desired.

Hope this helps,

Jaime

PTC: Public Telephony Company... Your local telephone provider... Verizon or some Bell Company or the one that bills you for your T1s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back