Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2nd Network card locks (doesnt respond to ping) any ideas? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshotter

Technical User
Dec 18, 2006
GB
hi all,
i need some help, on one of my windows 2003 servers i have two NICs one addressed at 10.0.1.2 and the second on 10.0.1.6 both have the same dns/gateways set, we need the two in order to differenciate between local traffic (TS over our interoffice VPN) and external traffic routed from the firewall (TS users authenticated with RSA)

basically what happens is that frequently the second nic wont respond to pings from other network machines (it does from itself) and i have to diasble/re-enable the card in order to get it working again.

any ideas as to what is going on will be greatly appreciated

tshotter,

Have you tried changing the switch port the second NIC is plugged to?

Regards,

Abner

What happens if you swap the NIC's? By that I mean, program NIC A with the settings that are currently configured on NIC B, plug NIC A into switchport B, and vice versa?

Might be worth seeing what happens if you physically change the slots that the cards are in to see if this affects anything.

Also, what IRQ are both cards sat on? Are they 5 or 7?

hi thanks for your answers, the machine has 3 nics, A which is a 1000base-t, B and C which are both 100base-t cards, i have tried swapping the cables to the switch i have also swapped between B and C and tried different addresses

Is it because they are in the same switch and on the same subnets?

Is the switch managed? Can you look at it's logs to see if the switch might be disabling the port to NIC B? If not (or nothing in the logs), are the physical connection lights on the NIC and switch still lit when you have the problem? No lights + good cable = bad NIC or switchport.

Are you positive that you don't have a duplicate MAC address on one of those cards? Sometimes dual-port cards can do that to you... This is the only thing the switch will care about.

While it's a little odd to have them both on the same subnet, I think it would work.

Maybe it's just a bad NIC?

no, there are 2 switches, switch A cisco managed 100base catalyst which the nic that locks is plugged into and switch b which comes from switch A but is a 1000base netgear.

And no the mac addresses are not the same

tshotter,
We ran into this problem. Found out that Windows works with the gateway configured on only one NIC. Just don't enter a gateway on the second NIC.

hi, thanks for that

i actually was messing around with it last week and accidentally uninstalled windows logon client, after reinstalling it hasn't locked up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back