Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2nd call DOESN'T ring to prime set? WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfife

Technical User
Aug 4, 2009
US
Anyone who can answer this question gets the official "Smartest guy in the room" award.

"Mr-Important-Guy" (The president of the company) is the prime set for his target line, so the SECOND call to his target line rings through intercom.

HOWEVER things get WEIRD and SURPRISING now that the Reciptionist's phone is AnswerDN of Mr-Important-Guy's phone.

NOW the second call ONLY goes to the receptionist. Mr-Important-Guy doesn't even know that his line is ringing with a second call.

THIRD CALL rings to prime: If BOTH Mr-Important-Guy AND the receptionist are active on calls 1 & 2 the THIRD call ring throug to the prime set. WTF?

Things were different before our 4.1 -> 7.1 software upgrade. Before that, PRIME would ALWAYS ring no matter what other Line appearances or AnswerDN's on system.

It's a problem because if the receptionist is absent, Mr Important Guy doesn't even know he has another call!!!!

I can only approximate the previous functionality using "Delayed Ring Transfer=Y" and "DRT delay =1". This is NOT BAD because at least Mr-Important-Guy knows he has a call, but there's a 1-ring delay AND it feels like a KLUDGE-WORKAROUND-HACK for something that WAS working fine before the software upgrade.

Do I have a global line setting wrong somewhere?
Have others noticed this CHANGE?
Is there a way to effectively create a DRT of ZERO?
Please help.
You could be the recipient of the prestigious "smartest guy" award!! ;-)

-Karl

p.s
If AnswerDN is changed to 'appear only' (instead of appear&ring) the second call rings as expected to the prime set.

p.p.s
MICS 7.1 PRI

Nutshell verions...

I have MICS 7.1 software.
I have 2 sets A and B
B has Answer DN for A as A&P
Pime Set for the Target Line/DID is A

Problem:
When on 1st call, 2nd call rings at B instead of A.

Questions
What is the Forward Busy set to on A?
How many target appearances on A?
Did you put Appearnces on B too???
How many Intercoms on A?
How many Intercoms on B?

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

It's a problem because if the receptionist is absent, Mr Important Guy doesn't even know he has another call!!!!"

Put an Answer key on Mr Important Guys set for blondie.

lol

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Have you played with the answer DN keys programming ,Basic ,extended or enhanced? I think it's under feature settings.

To answer cook1082, yes, I've tried playing with "Answer Key" all three options, basic, enhanced, extended and doesn't 'fix' anything. If any setting should 'work' it seems that it would be 'basic'. What I'm observing is maybe something like being 'stuck' on 'extended' (which enables prime set call capture).

For kicks & Kickstarts I toggled the setting (hoping it was 'stuck'. To no avail. Good thinking though! You probably thought of it right away. It took me a long time to think of that idea. :)

-Karl

>>Put an Answer key on Mr Important Guys set for blondie.
Thanks, I needed that. I did LOL

Your summary is perfect.
To answer your questions:
1. Fwd on busy: None
2. Set A has exactly one target line appearance.
3. There are 'none' line appearances of A's DID on B
4. There are two intercoms on A, two on B

-Karl

"It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black." :)

When you say to assign the Target to ring only, do you mean that I should remove set 2's answer key for set 1 and instead assign the Target line for set 1 directly onto set 2, configured for ring only?

Two appearances seemed like a good idea at first, but the problem is that only EASES the problem. The same weird stuff happens on the THIRD call instead of the SECOND. The other problem is that it uses up valuable button space, Mr-Important-Guy has 4 phone numbers, each with an appearance.

I LOVED your idea about putting an Answer Key on the assistant's phone! LOL.
-K

If Appr&Ring or Appr only is chosen, you can have as many
simultaneous DID calls as there are target line key
appearances so in your case you would/should add a 2nd appearance.

If Ring only is chosen, you can have as many
simultaneous DID calls as you have intercom keys.
This is the method I used to use, with 2 Intercom keys.

I did top method for Reception sets only.

Your problem sounds like because he has 4 DID you would then need 8 appearances (2 each) wich is a lot of buttons.

Maybe an M7324 or T with KIM is in order for him unless he does not mind going with just Ring Only on all 4 and assign 2 or 3 Intercom keys and rely on the Display/F811 for what line is ringing.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Those are all really clever ideas. Do you have any idea why it is doing this? Is this the new 'normal' behavior ever since some specific software release?

If this is the 'new way' it works, I can see an argument being made for its superiority as it relates specifically to line appearances BUT NOT to answer keys. That makes no sense to me whatsoever. I think anyone would be hard-pressed to make an argument for why someone's phone shouldn't ring on a second call just because someone else is covering them.

Have you run into this yourself? Is there something 'BUGGY' about my specific installation?

Looks like the best bet so far may be to simply enable Delayed ring Transfer to prime after 1 ring. While not an 'elegant' fix because the ring shows up one 'beat' late but at least it DOES work system-wide and it may be BETTER than implementing, testing and documenting a bunch of special-excpetions on a bunch of phones that need these special exceptions.

Ideas?
-K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back