Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2Mbps upgrade and changing isp issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quarm

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2002
GB
Hi hope someone can help.

Situation is this. Current network setup has 30 users, 25 onsite 5 of site. Server is running nt4 as the OS, WINS, and DNS. In addition there is also a Terminal server acting as a DHCP server and a Draytek 2600 Vigor router which our current broadband goes into. Router has NAT and other configurations related to the current isp, which is currently half meg down 256 up.

Having recieved documentation from BT including Router IP, a start static IP and a static End IP address, network username and passwd, I have attempted to install the BT software straight on NT4, got a system updating message after rebooting. After installing I lost all access to the web, so I attempted to restore my original router settings and uninstall BT software. All worked well and network is up and running.

Problem is where do I make the changes on Router or NT4 server to successfully upgrade to 2meg line?

Any help will GREATLY be appreciated as I am struggling. Thanks.

Q.

Imagination is the only weapon we have in the war against reality.

Your router should auto detect the line speed when sync'ing with your local exchange, there wont be a setting on your router. Have you tried rebooting your router at all ?

Are you still using the router in a NAT setup or have you changed it over to use NON-NAT with multiple IP addresses?

You shouldnt have to install extra software, not sure what the BT software is.

Hi Faithless,

Thanks for the reply. I just had to make changes on router, for the 2meg upgrade. Tested the links and it seems all okay now. There was no need to use additional software.

However I now need to configure new dns addresses from BT before I disconnect the broadband service from the previous ISP. Do you know how to configure that on Nt4 so that mail retrieval and forwarding remains uneffected, we are using exchange 5.5. Thanks.

Q.

When the Many is reduced to One. . To what is the One reduced?

I take it your mail server receives external mail? You will need access to the DNS server that holds the zone for your domain. Once you get that, you will need to edit the mail pointer(s) to point to the new IP. When doing this do it at the same time you change over to the new ISP it shouldnt take that long to update and better todo on a weekend or late at night when your not receiving/sending alot of mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back