Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2K3 Server and SQL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputerShaman

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2005
US
Hello,

I am setting a new 2K3 Server for the administration department of a small college next week. I received a phone call today informing me that some new software they are implimenting in couple months requires an SQL server to run on.

A quick Google seems to point at 2000 SQL running on a 2K3 Server as a possibility. The Microsoft website is promoting 2005 SQL, and they have an "Express" version that is free.

My question is whether the free version is enough to run a vendor in-house database? If not, should I pursue the 2000 SQL or opt for the new 2005 SQL?

Needless to say I will teaching myself SQL Server over the next few weeks.

Thanks for any tips / advice.

ComputerShaman

ComputerShaman,
What will you be using the 2K3 server for beside running SQL? IE.. Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, or is it just being setup to run SQL Server? If your 2K3 server will be performing many other functions beside SQL make sure you get a plenty of proccessing power, memory, and RAID SQL 2000 and 2005 can be very processor intensive and depending on the application can use alot of memory and disk space. Which brings me to my next question the application that will need SQL? Will its database be accessed frequently and by many users, if so the SQL Express may not be an option. Also does this application have the ability to perform back-up's and reports, once again Express may not be what you are looking for.

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
- Confucius (551 BC - 479)

The bigest question which will tell you if you need SQL 2000 or SQL 2005 will be which version of SQL does the vendor package support?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

We're looking at maybe 10 to 15 users, and the actual database shouldn't be very large; 150 students per quarter, etc. The package is called Diamond D (or similar name. So far I have not received the info on it, however a sister school up north just started testing it out. They called to inform me to brush up on my SQL as they were caught unprepared. We have a couple months or so before we install, so I am trying to do the preliminary stuff now.

The 2003 Server will be running Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, and may be doing some Application Server duties also. I started the install today, and we have 2003 Server Standard version. It's Christmas break so a good time to set it up.

Thanks for the tips!

If you are putting the SQL 2000 on there (I'm assuming that the vendor package isn't certified for SQL 2005, most aren't yet) you'll want to make sure that you limit the amount of memory that SQL will take. If you don't SQL server will take all of it, and your server will grind to a halt.

Denny

[noevil]

I set up the OS partiction at 12GB. 2003 Server is using a little over 3GB if I remember correctly. The hard drives are 80GB and I will be setting up a software RAID on them via the management consol.

I figure the database itself will live on the larger partition while the program will likely be on the OS partition I set up.

I can reconfigure it though as I am only just beginning the install. I was running the server updates when I left yesterday. I'll be going back in on Monday.

Thanks again!

For a small server that sounds fine. The only change that I'd recommend is to use a hardware RAID instead of a software RAID. This will give you much better performance on the drive.

Denny

[noevil]

And don't forget a backup stragity.

Denny

[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back