Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2K Server crash/lock on install...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowGenius

Programmer
Mar 5, 2002
US
Running an AMD 1Ghz Athlon, Via KT7/133 motherboard, and a Radeon video card, with several other devices attached (DSL Modem, 10/100 generic NIC). Trying to install 2000, it locks up *hard* shortly after the video flickering routine, but I'm not certain it's the video card. Regardless of that, the only error I get (in a nice BSOD) is "Hardware failure, contact hardware vendor." Now, I understand that there are a few issues with this configuration and Win2K, but how can I even begin to do things like install updated drivers and so forth, when the system won't even get past the setup process? The video card must *work,* I have a display.

Any ideas would be extremely helpful - I need to have a machine I can run Visual Studio and SQL server on, and Windows 98, as you likely know, simply is not up to the task. XP doesn't support my DSL modem, so 2K is the only option I really have.

TIA!
John Henry

Seems like a hardware is causing Setup to fail.
Check Setuplog.txt for any helpful information. You might get helpful info on the offending hardware.

Secondly, try installing the server with the least amount of hardware possible attached to the system. Then add 1 hardware at a time and see when the server fails to pick on the hardware in question.

I'm sure there are several other ways to approach this problem.

Also just because you have display doesnot guarantee that the card will work fine with Win2K.

Well, I tried the following:

1) Swapping out the Radeon card for a Rage Pro card. It's older, but I'm also certain of it's compatability.

2) diabled the 4x AGP port aperture (read somewhere this might work)

3) Pulled out the spare network card.

4) Pulled out the DSL Modem

5) Pulled out the analog modem

About the only thing I couldn't try was a straight PCI video card, because I don't have one.

*Nothing* worked. I've seen a lot of stuff about the Athlon Processor and VIA chipsets having serious problems (when combined) under Win 2K. I guess I'll just have to wait until I can build a Pentium :-(

Thanks, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back