Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2k clients slow to authenticate 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2003
US
I have a 2000 AD server and 2 2k clients. When they are part of the domain, it boots fine but it takes a LONG time to get to the login screen. Once there and logged in, it takes a LONG time again to get beyond the 'loading personal setting' box. When I say long I mean as in minutes. When the machines are just part of a workgroup and log in locally, they fly. I imagine there must be some common config problem with the 2 clients or something with the server (obviously). Any ideas or suggestion on where to look?

Thanks! GW

The problem is with your DNS setup.

Make sure your DC is a DNS server and its setup correctly.

Make sure your clients are using the ip of this server as their DNS server.

Use forwarers if nessessary.

Hey,

The loading screen before the logon box is a lot longer than XP. Win2k isn't a fast OS.
After a user tries to login - make sure that you don't have roaming profiles.

Steve Hewitt

truined: it is a DNS server, but I also did question my setup of it. I am familiar with NT 4 when it comes to DNS setup, but 2000 is a bit different and I wasnt confident I set it up correctly. Is there a reference (for NT 4 users moving to 2000) somewhere on the net I can look at to help me out? thanks!

GW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back