Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2GB RAM Crash 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHH1955

Programmer
Jul 8, 2003
Not sure this is hardware or software problem but I am hoping that it's an issue with Win2K Pro and how it handles RAM. Here is the problem:

I have a PC that I just built that has 4 slots for RAM chips. I installed 4x512 DDR PC2700 RAM modules. Intermittently, the PC will just shut off. In order to restart the PC, I have to unplug the PC from the wall and give the power supply time to discharge before I can restart it.

I removed all devices from the PC and substituted others and have narrowed the possibilities down to 2 ... a problem with win2k and memory over 1GB or a motherboard problem. The PC works with no problems as long as there is only 1GB of memory (any two chips, any two slots). That seems to indicate that the hardware is okay. But if I place another 1GB in the other 2 slots the PC will eventually turn itself off. The problem always occurs when there is activity ... it doesn't occur if the PC is sitting idle and nothing is going on. Trying to run any given software that causes the crash will always shut down in the same place every time for that particular piece of software. I suspect that it has something to do with the way win2k applications are accessing RAM but can't find anything that will confirm or deny this possibility.

Anyone out there have a similar problem or know if there is anything special that has to be done for win2kpro to use more than 1GB of RAM?

What kind of system board do you have? Maybe the system board only supports up to 1GB but I doubt that very seriously seeing that you can install 512 modules in a 4 slot systemboard. Have you tried swapping those 4 randomly around in the 2 slots to see if any of them are bad? What Service pack are you using also on W2k Pro?

Let me know

Jason

The motherboard is an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe ... it supports up to 4GB of RAM. I've contacted ASUS and they haven't really been much help. Just automated responses to check the RAM modules.

I have rotated all modules into all slots. The chips themselves are not the problem.

I'm running SP4.

have you tried adjusting the swap file? dont let windows handle it, rather set it to 2x-3x the size of ram. or you can disable swap file and see if it works. i think it might help.
2k pro can handle up to 4gb of ram so its not supposed to be a problem...

I ran into that same problem awhile back with a Abit Motherboard and 512 memory,I was told some other motherboards with the same chipset were haveing a 512 memory issue I was told from Abit if I wanted to run 4 sticks of 512 it has to be registered memory, if its not registered you will have problems, and I did..

tuco7,
Could you explain "registered"?

And did that resolve your problem?

PHH1955,

You may want to consider flashing the BIOS. Asus has released three updates within the last month, one (1008) to fix problems with Elixir PC2700 memory.

"Registered Memory - A memory module that contains registers that hold the data for one clock cycle before it is moved on to the motherboard. This process increases the reliability of high-speed data access. Registered memory modules are typically used only in servers and other mission-critical systems where it is extremely important that the data is properly handled".

Ian

Everyday the Computer Gods pick one person to be "it". Maybe, today is your day !!

Yes I returned the memory and got registered memory and that took care of the problem

Just wanted to update this and let anyone reading it in the future know what the exact problem was in this instance.

While this board will support 4GB of RAM, ASUS has apparently not found any manufactures that have module sets that can go beyond 2GB. You can look on their site ( for the particular motherboard that you are thinking about purchasing and find a list of acceptable DIMMs. I didn't do this before I purchased my RAM because I wasn't aware that it was available.

Anyway, the board will support a maximum of 2 of the 512mb DIMMs which I purchased. So, I have to purchase different DIMMs in order to reach 2GB of RAM.

Thanks for updating everyone on not only the found problem but the logical cure. It really helps those of us who see lots of different machines a month. So nice to pass on a problem solved post. :)

"Never Argue with an Idiot. They will Lower You to Their Level, Then Beat YOU with Experience"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back