Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2D Barcodes in Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcooler

Programmer
Jun 13, 2009
I'd like to add a 2D barcode into a report. Does anyone know how to do this? I've seen a few people trying to sell something online, but I wonder is there something built in?

The reason is I doubt my company would buy someone's add on to Access and pay for hundreds of copies for each machine. IT would also have a duck over the security aspects.

Thanks in advance!

Do you mean that you would like to have a chart visible on an existing report or that you would like a report that shows a chart by itself. In either case, you could create the chart by creating a new report and choosing the chart wizard to walk you through the setup. There is an option for 2D charts. To use the wizard (these steps are for Access 2003) Go to the reports tab, click on New, then choose Chart Wizard and follow the steps. You will be able to further customize the chart once the wizard is complete.

To include a chart on an existing report you can add it as a subreport, or you may want to create a blank report and then drag into it both the data report and the chart and then adjust the sizing of the two subreports so that it prints out properly.

I'm sorry for not being clear. I'm talking about barcodes like the UPC barcode you scan at the grocery store. The difference here is the 2D (2 dimensional) barcode looks like a square with random dots instead of the black bars most of us are used to seeing. See the link for a picture of what I mean.

In the past, I've seen fonts for 1D barcodes, but nothing for 2D.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danmisener/1432640517/
I know nothing about barcodes so can not help, but have you posted in the Tek_Tips barcoding forum?

Didn't know such a forum existed. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks. It seems like the only way to go is to buy a software add on.

As a matter of interest to everyone else,

If you wanted to use just the single barcode not the 2D version here's how to do it.

Download a free font free3of9 and place it in your windows/fonts/ folder.

Use the string "*" & info & "*" in the control source,
(info is the information you wish to store in the barcode).

Then just change the font of the control to the barcode font.
You will need a font size of 36 or more.

Hope this helps someone.

Ian Mayor (UK)
Program Error
9 times out of 10 I know what I'm talking about. This must be my tenth reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back