Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2D-3D relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.

needsOLTPadvice

Programmer
Dec 28, 2001
AT
Can anybody advise me on how to acquire 2D mechanical drawings from a 3D model? Something like flattening the model onto one plane and then having it in 2D-objects only. It is difficult to use a xy, yz or zx view as a 2D drawing. It is very hard to dimension it, etc. Sectioning doesn't do the perfect job too, because the "in depth" information is lost. Overlaying several cross-sections provides the 2D drawing, but it should be done manually and you can miss some lines, if you don't select the proper number of cross-sections.
Thank you in advance for any shared experience, advice or recommendation!

2 ways to think about. One gets the solid profile of your objects, and your 3D object is left intact, the second is to use the "flatten" command from the express tools and your 3D object is lost if you do not save a copy of it.
After you have the views you want in layout, click in a viewport and enter "solprof" and follow the command line. The second option is to copy your 3D object 1 time for each view. For example, for your front, top, and right view, you need 3 copies. Make sure one object isn't behind the other when viewed from the top for example. Now go to the front view, and enter "flatten" at the command line, and pick 1 of the copies of your object. Now go to the left view and pick a different copy of your object, etc., etc.
By flattening copies, you still have the original to modify.

Flores

Thanks. The first method is working, but there is no "flatten" command in AutoCAD 2000. Please, advise me, if I have overlooked it.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back