Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2924xl 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

buraglio

ISP
Jan 3, 2001
US
I keep getting the error "Selected ports belong to devices that cannot support Dynamic and Trunk modes." It's a 2924xl, I need to be able to trunk to a 3com switch. I have removed all multi-vlans, but it still gives that error. The goal is to create say, 3 vlans, and 2 trunk ports. Hopefully I can do this. Any help appreciated.

Seems to me that the switch you are trying to connect to from the Cisco switch does not support the trunk encapsulation. Try using dot 1 q as your encapsulation instead of ISL. You can only trunk to a switch that supports your trunk encapsulation, Cisco supports two types by default: 1# ISL (it's own proprietary standard) and
2# 802.1q (IEEE standard, if my memory serves me)

This should help solve your problem.

Check the switch software - you will need SA5 to run .1q trunking on 2924XL i.e. the old form factors will only support ISL due to not enough memory to upgrade to higher image.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back