Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2924XL-EN rebooting randomly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goal

MIS
Apr 26, 2001
GB
We have a catalyst 2924XL-EN which seems to have started rebooting almost randomly. I can't be sure it's rebooting but the switch uptime is definitely reset, which leads me to this conclusion.

When the switch boots back up it looks for a DHCP lease, even though it's assigned a static address. It's given a lease but doesn't seem to use it - the IP assigned to it does not respond. It does however respond normally on the static address assigned to it, which makes me wonder why on earth it's looking for a DHCP lease when it reboots.

The reboots are seemingly random, occuring in gaps of up to one week or just a few hours. Machines connected to the switch show the following:

May 25 03:53:49 xxxxxx kernel: eth0: link down
May 25 03:53:51 xxxxxx kernel: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1
May 25 03:53:57 xxxxxx kernel: eth0: link down
May 25 03:53:58 xxxxxx kernel: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1
May 25 03:54:18 xxxxxx kernel: eth0: link down
May 25 03:54:19 xxxxxx kernel: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1
May 25 03:54:35 xxxxxx kernel: eth0: link down
May 25 03:54:41 xxxxxx kernel: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1
May 25 12:33:46 xxxxxx kernel: eth0: link down
May 25 12:34:35 xxxxxx kernel: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1
May 25 12:34:40 xxxxxx kernel: eth0: link down
May 25 12:34:42 xxxxxx kernel: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1
May 25 12:35:01 xxxxxx kernel: eth0: link down
May 25 12:35:03 xxxxxx kernel: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1
May 25 12:35:19 xxxxxx kernel: eth0: link down
May 25 12:35:24 xxxxxx kernel: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1

This is fairly typical in that the interface goes up and down quite a few times in the space of a few minutes. Everything then returns to normal.

Switch info:
IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5)WC8, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

I'm completely at a loss as to why this is happening. I've got informational level logging via syslog to another machine and this shows nothing at all - am I using the wrong logging level?

All suggestions welcome, I'm on the verge of replacing the unit but I'd really love to know if this is something fixable before I do so.

Cheers.

I'd replace the unit. Stick it in a lab and figure it out there. If it's in any type of production network that's what I'd do.

"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

That's the plan, but I still need to figure out what's going wrong and/or what might be causing it. Removing it from the network may also mean I'm unable to replicate it.

Anyone experienced this before / have suggestions on where to look for clues?

If you get the same thing in the lab, call cisco for a replacement. If you don't get the same thing, then I would look at the network cable and the NIC card. Both could cause this problem.

It is what it is!!

It's happening on all ports, and I suspect it's rebooting as I said, because the uptime is reset. I know it's not power related too as it's on a managed power rail.

Guess it's time to swap if there's no other suggestions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back