Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2924 XL-EN Blinking Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcomputer

Technical User
Dec 6, 2002
US
Hello all, I have a 2924 switch. When I plug it in all the ports flash amber repeatedly. The fans on the back start to throttle up and down in the process. When I unplug it the ports will flash amber a few times before power is gone. Could this be a power supply issue? I paid $69 for the switch and I can get a PS for $69. I would probably save my money and save for a 2950 switch for my lab. I am curious however what this problem could be. Thanks for your expertise. Tom

Plug into the console port and watch it power up and if there is a POST failure it will tell you.

Okay. First thanks for your quick replies. I plugged it back in after sitting for a few hours and it started normally. It was going through the POST process and got about half way through decompressing the IOS image and then it started acting up and nothing was displayed on the console. The console just froze up and ALL lights on the switch started blinking amber. The switch fans where making a "revving" noise synced with the blinking of the lights. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again. Tom

tpinky,

I am not sure that I would throw good money after bad when you can get a whole switch, a Cisco 2900 Series 24 Port Switch, WS-C2924-XL-EN for $49.95 with a 90 day warranty at Cables and Kits -

I would then plug it in and let it run 24/7 for at least a week or 2, the units are used, if it has anything wrong you should know in a few days.

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Hi CiscoGuy33, I think I am going to spring for a 2950 instead. If I can fix this issue for cheap then great. I am working towards the Security portion of my CCNA and I should be investing in a little bit better gear for my lab. Thanks for your reply. Tom

Tom,

I was going to ask what the 2924 was going to be used for, I would say you will want to move to a 2950. Ebay prices seem to be coming down - I have seen 2950-C, 2950-G and others with the EI on them for right at $100, regular 2950's are going even less.

Since you are working on your Cisco certs you should stop in at the Cisco Cert area here at Tek-Tips.

One of our regulars is taking his CCNA Security exam next Saturday. He posts all the time and discusses the lab he has put together for CCNA Security as well as CCSP down the road.

Bookmark the Cables and Kits, he has prices on many things very close to Buy-it-now prices on Ebay - + the 90 day warranty. Several of us have bought from them, I bought a 3620 - good prices and fast service. They are in Atlanta.

Hope this helps!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

First, how fast were they blinking?
Second, try holding in the mode button and powering it on---hold the mode button in for about 15 seconds, then let go. Do this while consoled in. Leave it alone for 3 minutes or so, then post the results of "dir flash:"

Burt

Ciscoguy33, Thanks for the site reference. I bought my gear from ciscokits.com but I will check out cablesandkits.com.

burtsbees, I held down the mode button for 15 seconds and interupted boot but that was it. It flashes twice a second and the console is unresponsive. Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back