Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2851 no power to switch module

Status
Not open for further replies.

eurobadger

Technical User
Jul 1, 2002
GB
Hi All

I have two 2851 routers each with a 48-port switch module, and both displaying similar problems.

The router boots successfully, and can be configured, but the internal gigabit interface cannot be accessed, and does not appear in a show version.
I have swapped the switch modules into a known working chassis, and the switch modules are both faulty. They give the problem with the internal interface, and the port LEDs do not light, so it looks like they do not run their power-on tests.
Likewise both chassis will not power up a known working switch module. I have replaced the power supplies in both chassis with known good units, but this does not change the fault.
Neither chassis and neither switch module appear to do any permannet damage to the known working devices to which they have been connected.

It looks like I have faulty hardware, unless there is a set-up issue that I have missed.

Any ideas?

Are you using the correct IOS for these 48 port switch modules ? I would verify your version supports the modules before declaring the modules faulty , doubt both are bad . I would bet your installed OS does not support those modules and you will need to upgrade.

Hi Vipergg

Thanks for the comment.

This is part of a rollout of 130+ of these routers, all using a standardised IOS on both router and switch assemblies. Hardware is identical throughout, configs differ only by IP addresses. We have installed 100+, staged all the others, and have had only these two failures.

The worrying thing is that both these units were assembled on the same day, and unless there has been an unusual coincidence in terms of hardware failure, I am concerened that our staging technician may have done something different on that day.

EB

Did other rollouts have these same switchcards ? If so then login to the other routers and make sure you have the same ios int the boxes that are failing. Do a dir flash: and check to make sure the ones that are working are running the same code as the ones that aren't.

Hi Vipergg

As I said:
"This is part of a rollout of 130+ of these routers, all using a standardised IOS on both router and switch assemblies. Hardware is identical throughout, configs differ only by IP addresses. We have installed 100+, staged all the others, and have had only these two failures."

Yes, we have checked the hardware & software and all are identical.

I think we have been unlucky with 2 chassis & 2 switch modules failing onb the same day.

EB

Your rolling out 130 plus new units, You’ve got to have Cisco on a Bat phone ready to charge out and take care of you. Have you contacted Cisco?

Hi Russell

We will be returning these failed units as DOA via our supplier.

EB

There are only 2 things that cause this---bad IOS, which I hope you have backed up and accessible via tftp, and a faulty card. ESD affects some modules worse than others. A clue would be to see whether or not it recognizes the card when the router is first turned on. I had a 1720 once and it recognized the WIC-1ENET card only when it first booted, like it displayed"new card, unknown hardware at address..." or something. Lights never lit up.
What I would have done before tearing them apart and swapping power supplies is to compare IOS's with a working one, and if they match, or especially if they don't, take a known good one and copy the IOS flash via tftp and load it onto the flash card of the trouble router. But that's just me. Let us know when you get the replacement hardware if that was the problem. I am curious, but I think it is faulty hardware.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back