Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2801 + PRI Provider XO Having Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 18, 2006
US
I am about to pull all my hair off my head.
I posted this in the Cisco Router Forum but will see what i get in this one. Im just at a point where i really want to throw this setup out the window =(

Heres the situation so far

XO is our t1 Data provider along with a PRI.

Both go into a Cisco 2801

The pri goes in to the router, handles the call and passes it onto the CCM.

Heres the problem. After a short while ( and i can replicate this almost) only 1-2 incoming calls are allowed and all outbound calls can be made fine. Again, this is a PRI which is 1-23 lines. Im not capping out. I do a show voice call sum and i see about 6 lines being used. 1 incoming and 4-5 out.

Try calling in to anyones desk and get a busy signal. Now the funny part is i dont see the setup request coming in.

Well i have been on the phone with XO for about 2 weeks now and i havnt gotten anywhere. They tested the lines and get 100% ok. Now what shall i do, i ran debugs + term mon and i see the calls that do come through. But for ALL the calls coming in that get a busy i dont see anything!

then after awhile i will get people telling me ( and i did it also) where i can not call international! i get a busy signal on my end. grrrrr.

New York City based. what can i do!? where do i look!? im getting burnt just thinking of it. any help would be great.

-luis
nyc

Ok sorry guys about that. DONT POST YOUR EMAILS! if anything i will pm you or something. Spammers are lurking ;)

I saw a similar problem recently with our internal QSIG trunks with a Nortel PBX. The CCM side looked fine but the Nortel side showed many channels in far end maintenance busy. That means that it will accept calls on those channels but will not use them to send new calls to the CCM side. It could be that something similar is happening.

In our case, we had to enable D channel service and service acknowledge messages on the PBX and then uncheck the "Inhibit restarts at PRI initialization" checkbox on the PRI configuration page.

I don't know if that's very helpful or not, but I thought I'd mention it.

Now if i enable this, your saying on the router end correct?

oh and 1 more thing.

i did a HOT reboot of the router and it fixed everything. GRRRRRR i now see almost 8 calls 5 in and 3 out. i had to reboot it b/c i was only getting 1 incoming call. i have had the telco provision the line over and over and see if their getting anything on their end. so far nothing, they will bring in a tech thou 2morrow.

i know for fact the problems will start up again soon =(

In CallManager, on the PRI configuration page, uncheck the box that says "Inhibit restarts at PRI initialization." Ask XO if their CO switch supports D-channel service and service acknowledge messages. If it does, ask them to make sure they're turned on.

It sounds to me like you're seeing a problem much like the one we saw. CallManager sees the channels as being available, but XO sees them in some other state that makes them unusable.

jneiberger, i appreciate all your help! =) Let me see where i get with everything and will update you soon.

Hey sorry for being so ignorant, im not the best Cisco Expert out there but the pri is connected to the router and the router then goes to a switch which goes to the CCM. Your telling me that the CCM is what denies the call?

Is the router running MGCP or is this an H.323 gateway?

Darn. I'm not familiar with H.323 gateways, so I have no idea how to troubleshoot this problem. With MGCP, the D channel is controlled by CallManager.

To answer your other question, it sounds like the B-channel status is getting out of sync. Your gateway thinks the channels are available, but XO thinks they're not available.

When this happens again, do a "show isdn service" from the router and post your results.

no prob.

heres what i get so far.

PRI Channel Statistics:
ISDN Se0/1/0:23, Channel [1-24]
Configured Isdn Interface (dsl) 0
Channel State (0=Idle 1=Proposed 2=Busy 3=Reserved 4=Restart 5=Maint_Pend)
Channel : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4
State : 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 2 3
Service State (0=Inservice 1=Maint 2=Outofservice 8=MaintPend 9=OOSPend)
Channel : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4
State : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2

in the show voice call sum

i get 2 lines being used, 22 and 23 for out bound. its working for now. lets see where we get later tonite / 2morrow

thanx again jneiberger

Channel 1 also appears to be Busy. If you only have two active calls, check this again in a while and see if channel 1 is stuck in the wrong state.

it was my fault. 3 calls were on. Just checked again, 4 on each show screen.

j, "if" the problem comes up again, should i be seeing a 2 as busy, or another #/error?

12.3 thats the first thing i checked ;)
im pretty sure thats the latest as we just got these prob 6 months ago and had someone look into it as well.

You should be seeing one busy channel for each active call. If you're running into the same problem we did, your side will always look correct but XO's side will show channel is a far-end maintenance busy state. That's just a guess, though.

Cisco IOS Software, 2801 Software (C2801-IPVOICE-M), Version 12.3(11)T5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Sat 02-Apr-05 21:22 by yiyan

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)T8, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

2801_Gateway uptime is 2 hours, 52 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:c2801-ipvoice-mz.123-11.T5.bin"

Cisco 2801 (revision 4.1) with 233472K/28672K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FTX0912Y05T
2 FastEthernet interfaces
24 Serial interfaces
2 Channelized T1/PRI ports
4 Voice FXO interfaces
4 DSPs, 64 Voice resources
DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.
191K bytes of NVRAM.
62592K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

It sounds like you have a DSP issue since when you reboot your router it works for a while and then it comes back.
Usually it is bad DSP's on the router that will cause your problem.

I would swap the DSP chipson the 2801 router and see if the problem goes away.
If it does your DSP's are bad and you will have to RMA to CISCO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back