Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

28,500 too much for associates degree 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skykiller

Programmer
Jul 9, 2000
US
Im looking to go to its 72 weeks long and cost 28,500 that includes everything i will need when i go there.

Do you think its too much to pay for what i would get?

I dont think id learn too much..

Josh Williams

That's a lot of money.

Does that include room & board, as well as books, lab-fees, parking, etc?

Chip H.

What kind of school is it (private, public, tech, etc?), and what does that include?

Education is the #2 rising cost in the US next to health care. I know the college I went to has TRIPLED since I took my first class there. And that was 13 years ago.

When high demand exists, high prices will follow. Capitalism 101. $28,500 might be a STEAL.

it is a private tech school
it includes books software labfees
everything ill need at school besides pens and paper(my laptop) wish it included room and board.

if i start my days are going to be fun 7-12 school 1-10 work

yay

Josh Williams

Job Placement assistance?

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

$28,500 might be a STEAL.
A ludicrous statement.

I can go to my state public university and get a Bachelor's degree (125 cr. hrs. @ $162.50/cr. hr = $20312.50).

I could go to a local community college and get an Associate's degree (64 cr. hrs. @ $38.50 cr. hr. = $2464).

Look at your state university college tuition rates and determine if $28500 for 1.5 years is excessive.

Yeah they have job placement along with refresher classes that i can come back and take at anytime I can also take any new classes they have in that area after im done.

Josh Williams

Most colleges have some type of job placement, but just because you went to the school doesn't mean you're guaranteed any type of job. Look at what your goals are when you get your degree (do you *need* the job placement or are you just looking to get something better?); look at the type of education you will be getting at this school (is it the best of the best? mediocre? under the radar?).

You may want to do some comparison shopping, especially when you're looking to invest almost $30,000 in a 2-year associates degree.

BTW, I'm paying $39.50/credit hr at my local community college. Both of my (evening class) professors are also teaching full time at a major university. I figure that I'm getting a university quality education for the price of a small school. I don't think I'm being shorted on my education just because I'm not paying as much as others.

kHz is it possible for you to read something and not bash it? We're both basically saying to check around. And if you have a problem, then I don't know what to say - let's just say I'm not going to tolerate very many posts with your attitude.

Glenn9999,

I misspoke in another thread. I am now am carrying the guilt that I am contributing to America's downfall by obtaining an education that I could not describe fully enough for some of the thread participants.

It happens occassionally on here, but I'd hate to see the thread disappear because of one person. I'd rather see the ability to block a user's post than just redflag the post and have the entire thread go away.

D

It happens occassionally on here, but I'd hate to see the thread disappear because of one person. I'd rather see the ability to block a user's post than just redflag the post and have the entire thread go away."

I agree here. If there's an ignore option, I would likely find it and make use of it. It's unfortunate that one bad apple can ruin a good thread where everyone is participating and everyone values one another's opinions without flaming them or insulting them (you know, act professionally?)

For example, how far would you get saying things like "A ludicrous statement." to your boss or co-workers in a meeting (and that's mild compared to other threads)? Like I was trying to say, $28,500 might be a good deal and it might not be, depending on the market, and what schools have comparable programs (which is a big factor, not just cost). Around here, for example, kHz's quotes would be low-ball (the local CC is pushing $100 a c/h, and the 4 year state school is $185 per c/h, for private schools, you will want to roughly double the c/h). Factor in financial aid: a school with a higher c/h price might offer more and make the overall cost lower.

As far as we know, though, the private tech school might offer the exact program Skykiller desires, while the other schools don't. If that's the case, $28,500 very well might be a steal.

...low-ball (the local CC is pushing $100 a c/h...
$100 * 64 cr. hrs. = $6400 (Associate's Degree)
$185 * 125 cr. hrs. = $23,125 (Bachelor's Degree)

Using YOUR numbers.

So how can $28,500 for a degree from a predatory for-profit business that markets to the most vulnerable be a good value? (my opinion.)

I have to agree with kHz -- this does not appear to be a good value for money. I would look into a more traditional college/university.

Going to the local community college is a good idea, as that lets you continue to work more or less full-time.

Chip H.

Captitalism: Those in control of the means of production in capitalist societies have generally run them for monetary profit.

How can you compare education to capitalism? Yes, this High-Tech Institute is a for-profit company, but public education is non-profit, and therefore cannot be attributed to capitalism as you inferred.

Nothing against you, it just seems you make statements that are not based on fact.

Josh,

Can you talk to some of the graduates of this community college? What do they say about their expierence?

Also, the school should be able to tell you the employment rate of their graduates and the average salary. Compare this to other colleges.

I've got mixed feelings towards community colleges. I'm going to both a local private university and a community college (for the general credits) right now. All things equal, I'd love to go to the university over the community college. Unfortunately, all things aren't equal. The university is five times more expensive.

Alot of the private schools cost more and are worth it because of different reasons to different people. I paid alot for my AAS 10yrs ago, yes it would have been cheaper at a community college but, I took into consideration the scheduling and the speed at which I could get through it. I also met references that had gone to the school who agreed it was expensive but it was a fast step in the right direction and all references commended them on their job placement department. They sent me on 5 interviews and I was picked up quickly. It is also an accredited school and I was able to transfer my credits to the University of Phoenix in pursuit of my bachelors.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

$28,500 IS too much for an associates degree. Especially since in today's working world where an associates degree is worthless. Not sure what state you're in but try a community college, or a state university. You should look into a bachelor's degree instead.

Most of these accredited schools are too expensive. I looked into The Chubb Institute in NY a few years back and they quoted their classes that made NYU's tuition affordable.

Aside from the tuition you should check to see what other thigns they offer, like books, transportaion, work placement, internship placement, what kind of lab time they offer, etc

[sub]

My opinion is stay away. I taught for three a very similar schools and when they say for profit that is what they mean. Education is a very distant third on the list of priorities. Check accreditation, make sure it is regionally accredited. I paid that much for my degree, but it was an MBA from a regionally accredited university. Be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back