Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2621 router flash has been deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

guardgirl

Technical User
Dec 16, 2004
US
a co-worker of mine deleted the flash in our 2621 lab router. Does anyone know how I reload it and where to get it?

hi,
bad news, but don't despair.

do not power down the router
do not reboot it

copy the running config to a pc
(run a ftp server on your pc)
(copy run ftp)
(give the ip address of your pc for the ftp)
(accept the default destination name)
(transfer, open file with a text editor for control)
(SAVE THAT !)

if you have an active smartnet contract on the software, you can have a CCO (access to cisco web site) that would allow you to download the IOS.

if you have not, try to contact the company that sold you the 2621.

or buy from cisco the needed IOS (basic, vpn, voice, ... there are many variation, so better ask an integrator to help you here)

or copy (ftp) the flash content of another 2621 (if you have)

other means might not be legal

if you did reboot or power down, there should be an (old) minimum iOS on eprom. use it to access the router and to use BASIC IP routing (best that than nothing) and FTP all files to the flash. FTP also the saved config file

when all done, do a "copy run start"
(older ios its write mem i think)

good luck

jacobson

thx for the feedback, I was stuck in rommon prompt. I was able to see the two files in dir flash: but the only thing I could do was confreg and then the number that was there. Will lets just say since I couldn't do a copy and ftp/tftp the system is now hosed. I could never get it to the # prompt and boot. I am shelving it, too bad. But thank you.
I did get it to reset w/one of the files but it must have been corrupted.

Hello there,

If you are still stuck in rommon mode and you still have 2 images in there you can boot any of them using the boot command in roomon mode eg:

romon1> b flash:<image name> (note no space between flash:and image name. If any of the images come with "file contains no valid magic number" or similar it means that that image is corrupted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back