Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2620XM fastethernet 0/0 - can't set ip address outside 10.0.0.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

felixtudoran

Technical User
Sep 21, 2006
US
I have two 2620 non XM routers that work fine when ethernet 0/0 is configured with an IP address. They can talk to the world whereas my third, the 2620xm won't talk to anything unless configured for the 10.0.0.0 network.

Does this have something to do with the management interface?
Is there any workaround to set an ip address in a different subnet for fastethernet0/0 ?

Thanks,
Felix

Linux+, Network+, A+

can you post the show run for that router?

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

Felix,

Exactly like Dallas said - post a show run (just x-out password stuff) this way we can see how it is setup and if something is causing this!!

I have 2500s, 3620s, 2650s, 2621s, 2611s, 2610s, 2611XM, 2651XM and 2 2610XMs and have no trouble setting ANY IP address that I want!!

And WELCOME to the Cisco Cert area of Tek-Tips!!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Yeah---you need to provide a LOT more info, like sh run, sh ip route and a topology!

Burt

Sounds like an ACL could be the culprit! Ditto on the show run!

Also take a peek at

sh access list
sh access-list [acl #]

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Could be
no ip routing
no routing (static or protocol)

It works as long as it is in a subnet that is obviously in the routing table. Come on, mac!

Burt

Hi all,
Thank you all for the replies. I was out of town and couldn't post the config but I'll get to it whet I get back from work.
What is curious is the interface was set with the ip address after erasing the existing startup config with the same settings as my other 2620 non-xm routers. All of them work except this.
I also have a NM-4E module which I could configure with the ip address that doesn't work on fa0/0.

Linux+, Network+, A+

Hey Burt,
(Just trying to understand.. I'm not the expert)
no ip routing will make the router bridge IP like it does all other protocols (IPX et. al.) by default. Why would it route 10.x.x.x traffic then (with no ip routing enabled)? And wouldn't the routing table be irrelevant with no ip routing enabled? It's my understanding that the router will basically be a switch with that command enabled where IP is concerned and therefore the only way the 10.x.x.x subnet should matter is if the interface at the other end of the fa0/0 link is not 10.x.x.x.

Felix said "the 2620xm won't talk to anything unless configured for the 10.0.0.0 network" which initially sounded like an ACL to me since he said that the other two would talk regardless of subnet which implies that he tried 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x or both on all of these routers but only the 10.x.x.x would work on router number 3.

That said, if this is a freshly cleaned router then that could eliminate the possibility of this being an ACL issue but I would still want to see the show run. And just for the heck of it the 'sh access-lists' and 'sh ip access-lists'.

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

You're just mad because of all the points I made about Star Farts...lol
I was just kidding...lighten up Francis...lol again.

It could very well be an acl...my point about being sarcastic was that the user needs to post more info, which should be relevant to him/her at this level. More reading to do...

With no ip routing, and it only working with one ip subnet, it could work only in that subnet if it were set up to only bridge that setup. The routing table would be a totally different issue---the suggestions I made were totally separate from each other, not no ip routing AND no entry in the routing table.

Burt

OIC.. Thanks for the info..

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back