Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2612 to route between 2 devices on seperate subnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeuz

Programmer
Feb 26, 2002
CA
My setup is as follows:

PIX 506 \
hub - DSL modem.
PIX 506 /

Each Cisco PIX has to retrieve their IP via DHCP (Telus as the ISP calls DHCP reservations 'static')

If both PIXs were on the same subnet they would be able to communicate directly to each other, however this is not the case and all traffic is sent over the DSL connection then back down the DSL connection to the other PIX.

I cannot change the IPs of either device but want them to be able to communicate at full speed with each other.

Can the 2612 (3 interfaces) be inserted into this transparently and allow DHCP passthrough for the PIX devices as well as ensure that any communication between the 2 of the does not need to go over the DSL connection just so that it can come right back down the connection?

I know some about routers, so even a nudge in the right direction might be enough for me to be able to complete the configuration.

Or if there's a simpler solution that I've overlooked I'd be glad to hear it.

Thanks for the help

why not swap out the hub with a switch and run all 3 devices on the same VLAN. with the default route out the DSL modem.

it's a question of cost. I work for a charity and we have the 2612 already sitting here doing nothing.

there are loads of good cheap switches on the market, you could use the 2600 but it wouldn't be transparent, when you say you cannot change the IP on the 506's is this set in stone?

as you would need to have an IP on at least one interface of the 2600. the way I would do it, is to have the dhcp from the dsl assigned to the routers e0 & e1 ints with the WAN int with no IP, and put a virtual satic IP on the 506.

or sell the 2600 on ebay and buy a switch with the proceeds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back