Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2611 and CEF ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MChrisM

MIS
Dec 8, 2004
US
I am wanting to implement the following config for Load balancing on my Cisco 2611 -- but when I attempt to issue the "ip load-sharing per packet" command it is invalid -- I am running IOS 11.3 is this available in later versions of IOS or do I need to try a different path to load balance my T's

interface Serial0/0

description Customer Link #1

no ip address

no ip redirects

ip load-sharing per-packet

encapsulation frame-relay IETF

no ip mroute-cache

no fair-queue

frame-relay lmi-type ansi

interface Serial0/0.1 point-to-point

ip address a.b.c.d 255.255.255.252

frame-relay interface-dlci 100 (replace with 16 for Southeast orders)

interface Serial0/1

description Customer Link #1

no ip address

no ip redirects

encapsulation frame-relay IETF

no ip mroute-cache

no fair-queue

frame-relay lmi-type ansi

interface Serial0/1.1 point-to-point

ip address w.x.y.z 255.255.255.252

frame-relay interface-dlci 100 (replace with 16 for Southeast orders)

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/0.1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/1.1

I've worked with Cisco routers now for a long time and have never seen the command you are describing: ip load-sharing per-packet

I did a lookup on CCO and found that command. It is specifically for the 10000 and 12000 series platforms. The regularing Cisco router series does not support this command.

There is a way for you enable per-packet load sharing across to equal cost paths to the same destination. You have to configure the router for packet process switching. This will accomplish what you want but the trade off is a high CPU rate that you'll encounter (depending on the traffic volume).

CEF is available in the 12.2(XX)T versions of the IOS and is
available in the 2600, 3600 etc series Routers.

you can get more info here

Checkout the bottom of page 13 ---

However I have found it is not available for the 2600 series routers in version 11.xx

So I will have to upgrade to 12.x(XX)

Try to upgrade to 12.xx. The ip load-sharing per-packet should work. At least, working on your 2611.

This is what I did --- it turned out that my ISP did not have everything set up for Load balancing either.

Cef does load balencing by default.. But on a per flow basis.. Why are you trying to change this?

no ip route-cache" will give the per packet load balancing. However, you are going to process-switch every packet (that can get really UGLY) and increase the CPU workload tremendously. IMHO, upgrading the IOS and adding the command "ip cef" is the best way to go since you get the flow based balancing and the cef gnome works very efficiently. I can't come up with a really good reason to do per packet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back