Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2610 Boot process

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenover

IS-IT--Management
Apr 17, 2001
US
We just had a major power outage, and two of our Cisco 2610's did not boot up properly when the power came back up. When I consoled into them, they were both stuck at a "rommon1" prompt, and I had to manually enter "boot" to get them up. I know there's an easy way to make them automatically boot, I just don't know the command. Help? Thanks.

It could be that you have the config-register value set to boot to rommon.... a cisco default of 0x2102 should boot the router completely, assuming you have a valid image on the flash.

Thanks for the reply. How do I verify that I have a valid image, and/or set the default boot?

If the router boots all the way when you issue the boot command from rommon, then you have a valid image. You can do a 'show version' to see what the current config-register is, it should be one of the last items listed. You can change it from global config-mode with something like:

config t
config-register 0x2102
end

then when you do a show ver, you should see that the register is changed for the next reload...

Thanks, I'll try that. No restar necessary, right? Don't want to interrupt that link AGAIN today....

No restart necessary if its running fine.....next time it restarts (outage or on purpose), then the new config-register will be used...

That worked, thanks again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back