Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2600/3600 power supply question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoronaAxe02

Vendor
Jul 10, 2008
Quick question, does anybody know if Cisco 2600 and 3600 power supplies are interchangeable?

KoronaAxe02,

I am not an expert but this is what I have in my 2600 docs and 3600 docs

Cisco Product Numbers for 2600:
PWR-2600-AC=, PWR-2600-DC=, PWR-2650-AC=, PWR-2650-DC=

2600 uses 72 watt power supply

For the 3600's -

3620 uses 60 watt power supply
3640 uses 140 watt power supply
3660 uses 250 watt power supply

Hope this helps some!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Can't speak for the 3620 and I'm not positive, but I think there are probably some significant differences in physical dimensions between the 3640 power supplies and the 2600 series (don't know about the 2691). A 3660 PS might physically fit into a 2600 chassis if it were rotated 90 degrees, but still not sure of the orientation of the power supply connection on the 2600 chassis.

[the other] Bill

I wasn't going to bring over a PS from my 3660 to try.

Today's not the day for a visit. We're buried over here - over 8" of stuff - and I'm too old to shovel it all away. ;)

[the other] Bill

Thanks for the help everyone! I was pretty sure they weren't interchangeable, but I thought I would check here.

Plenty of them available on eBay. Just make sure they have a warranty.

[the other] Bill

Bill,

Sorry to hear about all that "white stuff"; we are having GREAT weather for the Superbowl, I think they expect 10 inches of sunshine :) !!!

I was taking some pictures of the Goodyear blimp as it flew over my house yesterday, I will bring my camera to work and take some shots of the stadium - the NFL has got it decked out nice and tons of concrete security walls.

As for the power supplies when I saw that the part numbers were PWR-2600-AC= etc. I figured they were not "easily" interchangeable. As for Ebay they look to be about $10 each not counting shipping.

E.A. Broda

Gene,

In St. Louis we get to enjoy the change of seasons, and they are dramatically different. The summers of Dallas and the winters of Milwaukee. But not the hurricanes of autumn or the lightning of Orlando. ;)

Its too bad you have to suffer with all that dangerous sun. Be careful out there! (lol)

[the other] Bill

Bill,

FYI - Tampa is the lightning capital :-( and I have the power strips, UPS's and other surge tools to prove it LOL!!

Anywhere in central Florida gets a lot of VERY bad lightning and yes it can get a little windy in the summer and fall :-( I am sure you would NOT want my homeowners insurance bill.

But since we are talking about power supplies, since I went to APC UPS's in my home lab about 6 years ago, I have not lost any equipment. I can not say the same for phones and VCR's etc. in other parts of the house, if I could I would put them ALL on APC UPS's. Most of my home lab is unplugged when not in use!! I am in an old neighborhood with lots of trees and squirrels, my power flips off and on for about 3 seconds at least 3-4 times a week. Just enough to reboot if it were not for the APC UPS :)

I am thinking of having the Electric company put in what they call a "Zap Cap" on the power box where the electric co (TECO) feed comes in to prevent surges from a big hit "elesewhere" up or down the line!! Still would need the UPS's for the short outages but would not have to worry as much about the zaps!!

Might have to follow some of those links on Ebay and pick up a few extra power supplies for my 2600's :)

E.A. Broda

My mistake. I was told the lightening capital was Orlando. Thought Mickey's nickname was Sparky.

Have you considered some of the whole-house sruge protection? VERY heavy-duty. Some of their equipment can be installed on the circuits going into the breaker box or hanging on the breaker box. Can't remember why we didn't have some installed when we built our home a few years back.

[the other] Bill

We get some wicked lightning here in St. Louis also, not to mention the tornadoes. Two and a half years ago (summer 2006), we had a "tunnel" of 80MPH wind that took out a LOT of trees and power lines! Many people (including my family) were out of power for up to a week!

Burt!

I was in Toronto on business when that storm hit, I couldn't get home. My wife was livid!! When I got home, the first thing I did was to drive 150 miles round trip (way out to central Illinois) to get a portable generator. We saved the frozen food and the perishables, but it was an ugly time. And it was hot and humid on top of it.

[the other] Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back