Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

256mb to 128mb memory problems! Please help! 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suthern

Technical User
Dec 5, 2000
US
Hi again,

I've run up a wall that I can't fix. To start with, I'm running win98SE, (started with) 98mb ram, VIA S7-SB motherboard, Maxtor 20 gig HD, rage fury MAXX 3d display card, AMD-k6 400 MHZ 3DNOW.

Step #1
Orderd a 256mb memory chip using a company on pricewatch.com. I recieved the 256mb chip about 1 week later.

Step #2
I installed the chip, and it did'nt reconize it, so I took it out, blew dust out of slot, and put it back in. PRESTO!

Step #3
Computer boots up. Memory test shows I have 228 mb memory, Not 98 + 256 memory!! It seems that it looks at my 256mb chip as a 128mb chip. I need help.

Is there a way I can make it recognize it as a 256 mb ram chip?

Thankx,
Suthern

Try with the 256 only for starters and see if the mb will recognize it. You M/B may not like it. If it sees the 256 then add the second largest.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Hi Southern!

I know this is a stupid question... but are you sure that they really have sent you a 256MB chip?
Perhaps you accidentally got a 128MB chip!

cya

frag patrick.metz@epost.de

LOL... ok..... here is what I got off the chip. I see something fishy!

On the invoice it said 256mb chip. hmmmmmmm..... I have a 64 mb, 32 mb, and ___mb. My "supposed-to-be" 256mb looks like my 64mb ramcard, only there are chips on both sides, but the number of chips is only doubled that of a 64 mb. hmmmm 64 + 64 dosen't = 256!!!!!!!! 64+64 = 128 on the dot!

Here is what I got off the chip:

on one sticker:
%256MB
O128mb
O64mb
O32MB (% = hole in sticker)

On another sticker:
32*4
On another sticker:
100mhz
On all the chips:
|------------------------|
|Singapore Kowa|
| A-6263Q1-8|
|11401J 0020|
|------------------------|

The ramboard has 16 chips on it. 8 on a side.

My 64mb card has 8 on one side.

chip = black chip on "ramboard"

ramboard = board with all the "chips". U insert it into the slot. Can someone tell me the real name for this? I made up ramboard.

Conclusion:
The company "Kowa" sold this as a 256mb ramcard. As far as I can tell, it is only a 128MB ramcard. Someone is cheating someone, and I'm the one who gets the wrong end of the stick. What should I do? I'm going to see if I can find anywebsites with pictures to associate the ramboard with.

Please pardon my "ramboard", as I don't know the real name.

Thanx,
Suthern

16 chip Dimms are either 32MB or 128MB. I think you are correct in thinking that someone is getting screwed. I hope it doesn't turn out to be you.

One the other hand. i had to add RAM to a Compaq that had 32MB. I added 256 MB but the chip wouldn't work alone in the system, only in the second slot behine the 32MB. It counted ALL the RAM but only with the 32 in first. With 256 in alone, or in first slot it would not finish the post. I got the Dimm replaced and it's fine now. Go figure.

believe by ramboard you mean DIMM (Dual In-line Memory Module)

From what you have it sounds like someone labeled it wrong and it was sold as a 256..
aside from the hole in the sticker you described a 128 mb dimm, the hole is more than likely a result of human error. Would contact pricewatch and tell them what happenned. That you have a 128 MB DIMM that they sold as a 256, then site the stickers and serial number. They should offer a replacement or refund.

Sounds like it was labeled wrong even though one sticker is marked 256 and the other 32*4 = 32x8=128, get a refund and buy one locally

Thank's all of you. They require a 15% restocking fee for returns if I'm to get my money back. So I will just send it in for a replacement. If the second one is only a 128 mb DIMM, then I will return for money back, and complain to the company, telling them that they are getting cheated out of thier money from the maker of these. Thank you all again,

Suthern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back