Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2560 POE Issues... PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

leedsit

Technical User
Nov 25, 2004
GB
Hi,

dont know if anyone has any experience with POE but I am a newby. I connected 1 POE port on our 2560 Switch to a new 2560 Switch only 60 Meters away, however nothing is happening ( its not powering up ) Any suggestions?

Please find enclosed PIC....

photo0328060018ol.jpg

LEEroy
MCNE6,CCNA2,CWNA, Project+

photo0328060018ol.jpg

LEEroy

OMG! are you for real?

It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Well..... you can see the pic... Im a little disappointed my CCNA didnt cover this....

LEEroy

I can see the problem, it looks like you haven't plugged the other end into the one below.

Punce..... thanks for your comment but its clear you know nothing about POE... I did state that its 60Meters away... that switch is like 0cms away....

LEEroy

sorry, I missed that bit.
Double check that the cable you are using is Cat6e. It's important it has the 'e' on the end, as this enables to send power down the cable.

hope it helps

punce

Ahh, Ok... maybe you do know somink then..... So E does stand for End as In Power END???? Cool.... my mates friends cousins brother who is in IT says I need a cross over.......

LEEroy

I thought 'E' stood for electric, but I could be wrong. I'll have to look into that.

Don't use a crossover cable, this would certainly damage one of the 2560 switches.
You would only use a crossover cable when one unit is UK 240AC and the other is US 120AC.

Tell your mates friends cousins brother that he should read up thoroughly on this kind of thing before recommending anything.

Oh Ok, thanks sooo Much Punce.. Ill tell my mates friends cousins brother ( bob by the way ) that info... however my other friends mates, daughters dads cousin is an electrition..... he says the same as you, dont use a crossover... but a cisco Rollover instead!!!! E stands for Lectrik not electric...

LEEroy

Hmmm.... tried the rollover..... heres a pic of the office where the switch was.....

courtland7xf.jpg

LEEroy

Laugh...... You think???... Just a little light hearted post.... But I reckon its happened....

LEEroy

The problem is you did not put it on your tonque to moisten the connectors before plugging it in on the second switch....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back